Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Hi New here.. I hope you all can help.

I have a veil tail betta that is loosing his tail fin. I tried using betta fix for a week and have had no results. What can I do? I thought he was under stress so I moved him to a more quiet room but his tail still isn't growing back. I am doing a water change today but Im at my wits end on what else to do. Also how can you tell when the fin starts to grow back and how long does it usually take.

thanks so much
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #2 
doggyhog

What size tank is he in?
How often is the water changed?

Fin rot can be tricky sometimes. I recommend doing Salt Baths.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ight=salt+bath
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

thanks for the reply.
He is in a standard one gallon fish bowl (I am in college and this is the only pet we're allowed to have in the dorms and no tanks over 10 gallons).

He has a little cave, natural gravel, and some seashells in his bowl. I will be taking out the shells today bc they could be tearing his tail from what Ive read.

I will try giving him a salt bath and see if it helps or not.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. Jungle Fungus Clear or Jungle Fungus Eliminator are good for fin rot. Are there any sharp objects or plastic plants in his container that he could have torn his tail on?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks like you answered some of my questions. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

ok i have a question on the salt bath. It says to use a gallon of treated water then to slowly add tank water after (im paraphrasing bc i read it earlier today)... does anyone know a smaller amount to use.. my fish bowl is only a gallon and i really dont have anything bigger to mix all this water in.. except our bathtub but i would never expose my fish to a dorm bathtub
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #7 
Vikki81207

I would take him out and put him in a container then set up his tank and just put a little under 1 teaspoon in some fresh water in his bowl then put him back in. He should be able to live in it. I do it with all my fish who have fin rot, I don't give them baths I just keep them in "salt bath" water.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #8 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
I would take him out and put him in a container then set up his tank and just put a little under 1 teaspoon in some fresh water in his bowl then put him back in. He should be able to live in it. I do it with all my fish who have fin rot, I don't give them baths I just keep them in "salt bath" water.

Good idea. I think I may add more salt to my aquarium then, because if its 1 tsp. per gal, I can have 5 in my 5 gal. I hate doing salt baths. Also I can treat moon and my new ct im planning on getting in the same tank.

(p.s. My tank water is really clean, the betta cup is not)
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #9 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
ok i have a question on the salt bath. It says to use a gallon of treated water then to slowly add tank water after (im paraphrasing bc i read it earlier today)... does anyone know a smaller amount to use.. my fish bowl is only a gallon and i really dont have anything bigger to mix all this water in.. except our bathtub but i would never expose my fish to a dorm bathtub

For you, I would mix your salt water in a a 4 liter milk jug, so 1 tsp. for 4 liters. So that's your salt water. Then just place your betta in a Tupperware container for the salt bath. If your following the same salt bath method I'm thinking of, then gradually add water from your tank to the container. And fill your aquarium with fresh dechlorinated water. ( You can probably take a little bit more water our and vaccum some sludge if you have any, then you can kill two birds with one stone, a water change and a salt bath )
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #10 
AngelicScars

Is there anyway you can upgrade the tank to say...2 gallons or to a 2.5? That would be a more ideal size for the betta. plus, if you ever need a heater (in the colder months) you can use a mini heater that you wouldn't be able to use in a 1 gallon. Also, a 1 gallon is hard to keep at a good consistent temp (78-80 degrees F) and that can cause problems with the Betta as well.
Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote