Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Filter suggestions?

I'm not very happy with my filter, which is an Elite hush 10. I originally bought it because it said you can change the level of water flow, but even the lowest level seems to be very strong. Lolita especially seems to have trouble with it, she gets swept down whenever she swims too close and I think that's why she still has her stress stripes.

I tried putting a cut piece of water bottle under it, but it just created a lot of current on the surface which made it really hard for my girls to swim.

Anyone have any other filter reccomendations? The plants I have under it aren't really tall, but I have no money to go out and get some now. I will try that and if it doesn't help, I think I'll need to buy a new filter.
What sort of filters do you guys use for your 10 gal? Anyone have any experience with the filter i have?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #2 
azjen

I just posted about this last night. I have only had my betta 10 days but she is in a 4 gallon with the Elite Hush 5. She seemed to be okay at first although it kind of tossed her around. Last night she was circling the perimeter at the top and barely ate. She kind of almost stuck to the filter twice. That had happened before but she always swam away fast. Last night she did not move away as quickly. I turned the filter off. Immediately she started swimming around happily from top to bottom. Within an hour, the stripe down her back was gone and she was solid purple- and a little darker overall. She looked great again this morning.
So I am of the opinion that those filters must not be too good. Now I have to decide if I am going to get another filter or just change the water more often.

Hope this helps
azjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #3 
Jupiter

That does help. I do want the tank to be cycled because there are some long weekends where I go back home and no one will be around to change the tank. Now i just need to find a good 10 gal filter.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #4 
Splinter492

I have the tetra whisper 10i it works pretty good, the flow isn't too strong but it could be better, but my betta seems to be used to it now.
Splinter492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #5 
azjen

Splinter:
Your betta in your avitar is so gorgeous. I am sorry as it appears he is no longer with you but I had to ask where you got him. I would assume he is a special betta? Where else do people get bettas besides the local pet store or Walmart?
I saw a site to order specialty bettas but they wanted you to buy two of them so you can breed them which I have no intention of doing.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #6 
Jupiter

They're crowntails, they sell them at every Petsmart I've been to. A few petstores in the mall will also carry them if you're lucky. If you have Petco, there's apparently a huge variety of Bettas to choose from..
Old 09-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #7 
azjen

I have looked all those places but have never seen such a gorgeous solid red one. Petco does have a fabulous selection.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aquabid has some BEAUTIFUL bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #9 
Rohland

i run a HOB filter made for a 20 gal on my 10 gal. It has a knob that you turn to increase or decrease the flow of water. Works really good! Let me know if your interested. Ill find out what it is for you!
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohland View Post
i run a HOB filter made for a 20 gal on my 10 gal. It has a knob that you turn to increase or decrease the flow of water. Works really good! Let me know if your interested. Ill find out what it is for you!
Yeah, that would be great if you did. Thanks!