Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Putting together a cook book...

I have food allergies and I have found that eating right is very hard and quite expensive not to mention all the non-mainstream foods that are found in those recipes. I'm looking for "Paleo" side dishes that are quick and simple. I need to find side dishes that only have a handful of easily obtained ingredients and can be made up in less that 10 minutes (minus baking time if applicable). I know there are paleo cook books and websites that have recipes but many are long and involved.
Other recipes are welcomed. Meatball recipes, dessert, etc. If I can find 180 fantastic super simple recipes I may put them into a cook book. I will give full credit for all submissions.

For instance, my friend brought this over last night:
sliced cucumbers
cubed tomatoes
fresh chopped basil
fresh chopped oregano

tossed in:

olive oil
balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
pepper

And it was fresh and fabulous. It happened to be something she throws together to bring to BBQ's. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Paleo prohibits the use of all cereal grains(including wheat), corn, soy, dairy, legumes, potatoes, sugar and processed foods. Clarified butter is OK.

White rice has been found to be very food allergy friendly so feel free to include rice dishes as long as they avoid the other allergens. Sweet potatoes are allowed. You are probably sitting there thinking...well what's left to eat???!! Well, now you see why I need help

There are bonus points for recipes using coconut milk or sweet potatoes.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think your cookbook sounds like a great idea!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #3 
BittyB

Broken record but my favorite recipe to do when guests come. Just use ghee instead and replace the potato for large cubes of sweet potato.

Thomas Kellers Roast Chicken

Since you said sweet potato and coconut milk it made me think of a soup I make.

Onion, garlic, sweet potato, curry powder, chipotle pepper, coconut milk, broth, salt and pepper.

I just saute the onion, garlic then put in the sweet potato and brown a bit, then throw in the spices, and some broth to cook. Throw in coconut milk and simmer a bit to blend it all together and use a immersion blender. Add more broth if you don't like it too thick or more milk to make creamier. You could also throw it all into a crock pot, then a bit before serving add the coconut milk in and then blend. If you aren't a fan of curry, skip it and then top it with some fresh basil.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
Onion, garlic, sweet potato, curry powder, chipotle pepper, coconut milk, broth, salt and pepper

mmmm...I'm trying that one this weekend.

That's what I'm talking about! Just simple stuff people throw together because it's what they had on hand and it turns out great and becomes a staple.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
thekinetic

Interesting fact the paleo diet also helps diabetes, a internet friend of mine got off his injections by doing it.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Interesting fact the paleo diet also helps diabetes, a internet friend of mine got off his injections by doing it.
That's wonderful, Kinetic! I ought to get my mom on it. She's diabetic.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote