Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #11 
Yuuki

Yay for more stupid questions?

How often should I be changing the water in this tank? It's 5 gallons, filtered and heated. I've been asking around elsewhere, but I can't seem to get the same answer from anyone.

I mean... I'm not planning on cycling it because I don't mind having to do complete changes, but everyone answering me is referring to a cycled tank.

Last edited by Yuuki; 09-11-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added info
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a 4 gallon that I did partial water changes on once a week, then I did a full change once a month. Mine wasn't filtered or cycled either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #13 
doggyhog

I do 100% changes on my 5 gallon once a week. It is un-cycled and unfiltered.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #14 
Yuuki

Guess I'll be fine then.

In my current tank, I turn the filter on and off; usually off at night and on most of the day.

We'll see what he thinks about his home doubling in size in a few more hours. =D
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #15 
kelly528

I would say that the safest route for plants (espescially in an uncycled tank) would be java fern, java moss and anubias.

1) They are all low light plants.
I have had success with them under low light and even no light. The flourescent that comes with your 20g (hopefully) will totally support them. You should also be able to buy a regular screw-in 'Power Saver' bulb that will fit the hood of your 2 gallon. If your 2 gallon didn't come with a hood, the plants should be okay under low light or even no light. One option is to use an ordinary desk lamp with a power smart bulb.

2) You don't need heavy fertiliser and/or a specialty substrate for them.
Some plants are heavy root feeders and pretty much need to be planted in something like Eco-Complete or Flourite. Their root systems also don't take well to being taken out every time you clean.

The plants I mentioned, however, will actually get rotten roots if buried in the substrate, therefore can be taken out of the tank for cleanings with absolutely no problem. Additionally, they can easily get their boost from a liquid fertiliser because their roots are not covered up by gravel, wheras most plants depend on root systems in the substrate to absorb nutrients from all the waste in the gravel.

3) They can be easily rooted onto driftwood or rocks. In fact, its preferable for them. This will also also make it alot easier for you to clean your tank, as you can just pull the driftwood out with all the plants on it for cleaning. Also, it looks really nice and you won't have to worry about arranging each individual plant every time you put them back in your tank. Just drop 'em in and POOF-- instant aquascaping! It's also easier to rearrange the pieces of driftwood to switch it up for your betta.

Good luck and hope I was helpful!

-Kelly
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #16 
sumsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Mine has the waterfall tank, too! lol
They should put fish or snails in the tank to if they can find a way to keep them from pouring over and keep the fish safe. Then I would go in there and just watch the plants. :) lol
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #17 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsum View Post
They should put fish or snails in the tank to if they can find a way to keep them from pouring over and keep the fish safe. Then I would go in there and just watch the plants. :) lol
The one I go to has Molly and Platy fry swimming around.

As for snails...HUNDREDS of 'em. I always have to feel for the gg cases before I put them in...learned that the hard way. 8)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote