Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol, Thank you Mar! You know, I kind of wish that most of us could all convene at one place just for a day or so to talk, hang out, get some food w/e. I think it would just be so cool to meet everyone and have a good time!

Yeah, it hasn't been fun living here but thankfully I do have my mom's house. I go back and forth still (even though I'm 20 lol) but I love to see both my parents so I spend Sunday-Wednesday at mom's and the rest at dad's (I get home wed. afternoon though) so it's enough to keep me sane but I wish I could just stay at mom's all the time with all my fish but she doesn't need to added electricity bill. She's a single mom taking care of a 2 story house, 5 acre's, two kids (technically), and working 2 jobs with occasional gig on the side. So she's got enough to handle, but it does stink :/

Anyway I did water changes for the two 3's, the 2.5, the 5.5 and the 10 today! And then Saturday will be all changes. I do all the tanks twice a week even if the 10 doesn't necessarily need it, it does need to be clean with Ditto's still impending Fin Rot status so twice weekly!

Oh my god, the humidity today was up at 95%!!!! and it still is!!! This is why we need a/c by the unmentionable horrible disgusting being that lives in the living room >.> likes the heat and suffocating humidity! Doesn't help that my dad has asthma, I've got severe allergies and I used to have bronchial asthma so we're stuck trying to breathe but find we can't with how heavy the air is! Yayaya (can't you just feel my sarcasm!??)

lol at least my fish all seem very content, the rescue boy actually built a small bubble nest last night! I'll get up pictures in a second!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes....yes this is Jarvis's poop lol, I was proud of him!!!! You can't blame me! haha

Rescue boy:

And his Bubble Nest!

Cherry being a darling and posing for me! She's so content right now it wasn't even funny ^_^

Mercury:

Mercury again!

So, I'm going to go ahead and say that Mercury's fins have grown since I've had him haha, here's a picture the day I got him:

And here's a comparison of Aero! I've had Aero for about a month now and he's turning green, like proper green, not just iridescence! Looks like he's always had it but it just wasn't as prominent. Here are two pictures the day I got him:

He's also seemed to have corrected his spoon headed-ness, deepened in color and he's filling in his mask as well! When he flares all his fins meet but I can't seem to get a picture of him flaring. One day I will set up a real photobooth to take photos!

Most noticable is the green at his anal fin, it's a perfect line underneath him and it seems to be getting longer every other day so we'll see! He's also got a perfect green line on the other side of his body in the middle of his scales.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #23 
Mar

Your rescue boy is beautiful.

Holy crap I LOVE the white tips on Mercury. Gorgeous.

I wish there was too! It'd be so much fun to meet all the other betta owners :)
One day, the internet will be that advanced ahahah.

It's good that you do get to spend some time at your mom's house! Must be sorta like a safe haven :) but it Sucks that you can't stay with her. I completely admire her though! Single mom, taking on a house with 2 kids. That's crazy!

Asthma sucks! Used to have it as a child, but it receded. Humidity does trigger it though, I feel so bad for you!!! :'(!!!
Ugh he's so selfish! Both of you are having problems breathing but he makes you deal with it just so he can have a sauna-like environment.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, he's literally insensitive to all people though, he has no idea what it means to communicate. He's literally in his own world and is a super introvert which is ironic when you come to think of it and his daily doings. He's old and grouchy, that part I don't mind but it's just ridiculous is all.

And you know, I might actually treat him like a grandfather if he treated us like grandchildren, I don't mean like spoiling us and stuff but you know, actually taking a liking to us. he doesn't even really like his own children, he only got married and had kids because it was the "thing" to do and his best<--scratch that, ONLY friend was also marrying at the same time so therefore, he must do it!

Uggh, it just infuriates me how much he just doesn't care at all, on the same token he hasn't (lol I kept writing Tolkein and was wondering why it was telling me I spelled "token" wrong haha) noticed my 33 yet lol although I did catch him sneaking into my room >.> I don't want to know what is going through his head at that time

Mom's is nice but I wish I could have my fish and my cats there. I love my girl, Ieli she's my baby girl and I couldn't just leave her or MC or Siberian here. Not when food is being thrown to rot in their water bowl all the time! I can't believe how infuriated that makes me!!!! Like, can you not seriously see that made a splash when you threw it down? And NO just because the cat is staring at you, that doesn't mean you should throw a chicken leg on the floor for him to eat! he doesn't even eat it, he just wants the attention! And NO, they DON'T want to go out all the time so stop trying to make them! (They're indoor/outdoor and they do go in and out a lot but he makes a huge deal about it "oh poor me, I have to get up and let the cat out" no you don't, the cat will be fine if you just ignore him)

GAHHHHA okay it's time for me to sleep this off lol, tomorrow's a new day and I'm sure it will be fantastic!

night all!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #25 
Haleigh

lilnaugrim, you have gorgeous fish! Your sorority is absolutely amazing. Best of luck treating Jarvis' fin rot. I look forward to seeing updates on your bettas.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #26 
Viva

I love your sorority tank :D How many gallons is it? And what type of light do you use for the plants? I'm debating on getting a regular t8 fixture but my tank is 18 inches deep and I'm afraid the one t8 won't cut it. I am looking for a single bulb t5 ho fixture but so far no luck
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #27 
LebronTheBetta

All your fish are so pretty! And I wish I had more plants like you do. ^.^'
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks everyone!! I do love my plants ^_^ I'm almost as addicted to plants as I am bettas! haha

And Viva, it's a 33 gallon flat back hexagon (yeah that's a mouthful), I use a light fixture that came with it that I hate, it's a 20W T8 and no idea passed that because it wasn't my light. I want to switch it out with something else because it's red and it really looks awful. So I'm debating just getting a different T8 bulb, preferably one that's around 6,500K or higher (I'm pretty sure they don't go higher for T8's though) or maybe just two of those clamp on lights from Home Depot or something. It would probably give me more light.

But I do have a second light, it's a MarineLand Single Brite LED lighting system which lights up the tank well enough but doesn't do much for plants, it's actually a low light system I found out which kind of is...bleh At least it makes the red tank look prettier and not so red since it's white/blue XD

As far as depth, my T8 lights up all 16 inches just fine and actually reaches the bottom whereas the LED doesn't. So a T8 would be great for an 18 inch tank if you could find one that's closer to 6,500K instead of lower But even if it is lower it doesn't mean that it's not going to reach the bottom of the tank. K is just the coloration of the lighting, red is on the lower end of the spectrum and blue is on the higher end and 6,500K is closest to the sun on a clear mid-afternoon day. So anywho, yeah I'm looking for different lights but so far they've grown my plants just fine over the passed 6 months!

I also used to use just API LeafZone, nothing else. I've since switched to SeaChem's Flourish and holy cow the difference! I get a little more algae on my 10 but I really couldn't care less! lol I've also started to use root tabs for my swords because they were getting a bit....floppy XD
Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #29 
Mar

;o
so much care lmao.

Headed to various pet stores now to look at their bettas. Hopefully there's a good one!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sweet! Good luck Mar!

I'm actually donating my little BN Pleco to my LFS where I got most of my girls. I like the pleco but she's a little too vicious and I can't keep up on feeding her cucumbers all the time. I was finally able to go a slice of cucumber, I put it in on Wednesday after tank cleanings and by this morning there was nothing but a rhine left of it haha so I'm happy at least she ate well in her last few days here.

Now I just have to catch her....I hope this won't be as bad as the Neons!!

Oh and two of my Dainties died I know now that they aren't in a good environment for them since they are colder water species as most Cory's are. Also their pH should be from 6.0-7.2 or so and mine is up at 7.6, I know as long as they're acclimated it's better than nothing but at the same time I know it's not ideal!

So in fact at my mom's house we'll be setting up a 30 gallon after we get rid of the piano and I'm very interested in Killifish so I want to have some A. Australe Orange and then about 9-10 Dainty Cory's since the environment is much more suited for them. So once we set that up, the four remaining will move there provided that they aren't dead.

I know they didn't die from any other diseases because I inspected each body and they seemed to die very quickly, bodies were still "warm" so to say when I found them, still very flexible and fresh. So I know there could be other things at work here but I'm willing to bet that it was the environment and me not doing my research before hand. So S.I.P. little two Avengers!

Okay I'm off to catch that little pain in the cookies Pleco! lol I want to see if they'll trade me some plants or another female if they have one I like!

Shadowcat will be entering the sorority soon! Almost time Actually I think she could go in now, pretty sure it's been 2 weeks but I'll wait another anyway just because I can