Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #1 
Sylerwin

Tank size for a betta?

I know this may be controversial, but I've gotta ask it anyway... What is ideal tank size for a male betta? I have mine with a few tanks mates in a 10 gallon. If he were alone, I could understand maybe lowering to a 5.5 gallon... But anything smaller I feel is just... too small. I was curious why bettas have the reputation of being in smaller tanks? A local fish store employee said that bettas could get a bent spine from being in a small tank where all it can do is swim in circles...
Thoughts?
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ideally all bettas would be kept in well planted ten gallons, but that is difficult to achieve. Personally my minimum for each fish is 2.5g, that could be by themselves or in a divided tank. However, with the right care, a betta can be kept in a 1g without problems. It's just more work for the owners.

Bettas can not get a bent spine from swimming in circles... As a rule of thumb, don't trust the employees. Usually they have the right intentions and sometimes they know their stuff but sometimes they give out ridiculous advice.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #3 
Seki

+1 to Matt~

I currently have one male in a 2.5 gallon, one in a 3 gallon, and one in a 5.5 gallon. I have one female in a 1 gallon hospital tank and the rest in the 10 gallon sorority (or they will be as soon as it finishes cycling). I have never had any issues with any of my fish that made me think their homes were too small for them. The only time I felt uncomfortable with my fish's living situation was the very first time I got a betta and put him (foolishly) in a .5 gallon little container. I quickly transferred him to the 2.5 gallon and never looked back. LOL
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

+1 to matt and seki. I agree with everything they said :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #5 
RowdyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
+1 to matt and seki. I agree with everything they said :)
Same here x3
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #6 
Polkadot

I think 5-6 gallons is a great minimum size for a single Betta,there is room for them to play & explore and have fun and there's proper room to have nice plants and decorations for them and still have free swimming space.1g and 2.5 etc just seem so tiny and boring for them to live their lives in,to only be able to pretty much just float around and not really spread out.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #7 
cowboy

I have one in a 2 gal and 1 in a 1 gal. I. Don't think one is happier than the other. But I notice the one in the 2 gal is more active (maybe due to filter?) I think its a combination of what you can afford, have room for and like. As long as you can have a heater and plants with room to swim around its good. So I guess I think 1 gal is absolute min.
cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote