Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 
PersonalityUnknown

Guppies keep hemorrhaging!

My first batch of female guppies all hemorrhaged and died within a week of having them. Both my males didn't show any signs of sickness after everything was said and done. Now, a few weeks later, it's starting again with guppies I bought at another store. So far I only see one of the females with obvious hemorrhage spots and I'm really worried about the rest of my tank. This is my first illness I'm dealing with in my own personal tank. )=

Tank stats:
29g, semi planted w/ driftwood.
Gravel substrate
~86 degree F
Tank age: Approx 3 weeks

Stock:
6 female Guppies
2 Male guppies
3 Female Bettas
1 Male betta
2 Ghost Shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp
2 Clown Loaches
1 Fancytail Goldfish (Rescue)

What should I do to remedy this?

Last edited by PersonalityUnknown; 06-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh my, I think you may have an overstocking issue. Have you tested all of your water parameters; ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? 3 weeks isn't long enough to fully cycle a tank & with that many fish you probably have ammonia and/or nitrite issues. Unless of course you got seeded filter media from somewhere. Additionally, the fish you have shouldn't be mixed, Goldfish are NOT tropical fish & they have a large bio load, Male & Female Bettas should not be housed together. If ammonia or nitrite poisoning is not the problem it is very possible the Bettas attacked the other fish. Hard to say without seeing your dead fish. The Gold fish needs a tank all to itself or needs to be rehomed. The male Betta needs his own tank away from the females.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #3 
PersonalityUnknown

Shockingly, my male and female betta's are doing just fine in the tank. The male dominates the entire tank, only showing /some/ aggression when the females get a little too close. When he first entered the tank he flared at everyone of his tank mates, but they backed off and he's just Mr. Macho man.
Everyone has their respective area's for rest. There's plenty of hiding spots, plants and fake plants to stop chase when things get a little feisty (Which is only with my female bettas and 1 (now quarantined) female guppy). My females show their breeding stripes more often than their stress stripes that are usually hierarchy related.

The original guppies were just them, no one else. 1 female is extremely aggressive and after they all passed she was quarantined after watching her attack my males for no reason.

I haven't tested them yet, but I've done ~20% water changes every week so far I think I'm actually due for one. I've been kinda using my shrimp as clear indicators of when my changes should be.

The goldfish is a rescue, like I stated. He was in a feeder tank in another store I was filling in for and I couldn't stand for him to be lunch. He was super thin and unhappy and now he's happier than a pig in.. yanno. He's putting on weight and looking 100% better. He's barely an inch and a half so I'm not too worried about his bio-load to be honest. Once he gets around 3-4 inches I'll be re-homing him either at my store or seeing if anyone wants to adopt him.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #4 
Chevko

It could be a combination of the male guppies' harassment and potential attacks from the bettas, male and female, when you're not looking or are at work/school. From what I've heard when I was thinking about females, even a 3:1 ratio with sexes can cause the females to get over-stressed and die, so the male guppies could well be singling out a lone female or two and that could be the cause. And I do agree with Shellica, males and females shouldn't be housed together, there is the risk that one side will wind up killing the other, especially with breeding.

Edit:
Some reason I thought you said two male bettas. Somehow mixed up the males and the ghost shrimp o.o

Last edited by Chevko; 06-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

OK, I've said my piece. You asked for advice/opinions & I have given mine. Good luck.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #6 
PersonalityUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
OK, I've said my piece. You asked for advice/opinions & I have given mine. Good luck.
Actually you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know... My question was surrounding what I should do about the hemorrhaging and nothing more. Which is one point you didn't really step foot on. =/
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #7 
PersonalityUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
It could be a combination of the male guppies' harassment and potential attacks from the bettas, male and female, when you're not looking or are at work/school. From what I've heard when I was thinking about females, even a 3:1 ratio with sexes can cause the females to get over-stressed and die, so the male guppies could well be singling out a lone female or two and that could be the cause. And I do agree with Shellica, males and females shouldn't be housed together, there is the risk that one side will wind up killing the other, especially with breeding.

Edit:
Some reason I thought you said two male bettas. Somehow mixed up the males and the ghost shrimp o.o
But what would cause the hemorrhaging........
Wouldn't fins and scales be damaged if there were attacks? Everyone looks pristine other than my 2 male guppies and their chewed up fins from the evil guppy that's in quarantine.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 06-28-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edited out Profanity
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #8 
Chevko

Maybe. There's no guarantee that scales would be disrupted, fins usually suffer damage from biting and being ripped. I would look at separating everyone into smaller tanks, maybe turn the 29 into a sorority since you've got 3 girls already. It's got to be the fish in the tank that's causing this, and since it's a female guppy, I'd say it's the boys you've got in there.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

The hemoraging could be nitrate poisoning. The treatment is AQ salt which may need to be followed up with anti-biotics. If your other fish are unaffected by the conditions the AQ salt may not be good for them. I hear loaches especially don't fair well with salt. Petco is starting their $1.00 gallon tank sale this Sunday maybe you could get another tank or two and separate everyone out to better suit their needs and then you can treat the guppies only for the condition.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Nitrates would have to be super duper ridiculously high to kill guppies.

Look, it's either one of two things - the water, or the stock. Water is within your control to rule out, so that should be the first thing you do. If increased water changes don't do anything, then it's most likely fish related. I know you don't want to hear that, but there's really nothing else to point to....
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote