Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #11 
cheylillymama

Id say he's just cold then.

With most sickness i know of, some other symptoms will present. Bloat, loss of appetite, darting, "scratching" on decor, discoloration, fuzzy whiteness with fungus.

He just looks clamped and cold but not sick. He should be fine once his water warms up some more.
:)

In a tank that small, you should be doing frequent water changes, *at least* one 50% and one 100% change per week. Exactly why I upgraded to 5 and ten gallon tanks for my bettas. Lol less work for me. :)
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #12 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
Something like that, I do live in Australia, but Luck for me the thermometer has both Celcius and Ferenheight, I'll try my best to include the Ferenheight.

I just checked the Temp again, and it's slowly rising, it's roughly 22C(71F) he's liking the new heater.

The Heating pad is the one I brought yesterday, it wasn't doing a good enough job, I had it in over night, and it didn't warm the water that well. I have a Hydor Heater (http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/10/list/3) the 15w one, which (from what I'm reading on the site) is for 20l Tanks, I hope that it doesn't over heat my 6-8l tank too much, I'm checking it every 15 mins or so just in case.

I have been slack with the water treatment, and don't change it as often as I should... the Reason we called him Thursday was so we could remember when to change his water :p... and the day we got him :p

I do hope that it's just him being cold, as I said before, it's winter here, and the days a only slightly warmer then the Nights.

is there any way to tell if he is sick and not just cold?
well Thursday is still a cute name :)
lol yeah its summer in America.
the way to tell is to warm him up and see if he gets back to his old active self. try doing a water change with small bits of warmer water to get the temp up a little faster (not too fast). because Bettas can die from being too cold for too long.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #13 
Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylillymama View Post
Id say he's just cold then.

With most sickness i know of, some other symptoms will present. Bloat, loss of appetite, darting, "scratching" on decor, discoloration, fuzzy whiteness with fungus.

He just looks clamped and cold but not sick. He should be fine once his water warms up some more.
:)

In a tank that small, you should be doing frequent water changes, *at least* one 50% and one 100% change per week. Exactly why I upgraded to 5 and ten gallon tanks for my bettas. Lol less work for me. :)
He is darting a bit. and he wasn't going after his food like he use to... but that was before the tank started to get warmer.

Since It's gotten warmer he is more active and is going after his food like normal.
The green on his fin has me worried, I didn't notice it before.

I plan on doing a water change (50%) tomorrow, I'm giving him a little time to recover before changing the water on him.

Thank you all for the help... I was starting to get a little worried.

I'll keep you posted on how he's recovering.
Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #14 
Rayner

Hi Everyone,

Just posting an Update on my fish.

Since the water has been heated he is a lot more active and is swimming around a lot more.

But now he seems be sinking now.
He would swim up, and then just sink down to the bottom, rather vertically. sometimes when he gets to the bottom he kinda sits on the bottom of the tank.
Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #15 
creame172

try fasting him for three days then feed him twice a day only 5-6 pellets
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Hi Rayner and welcome to the forum. Thursday is a really cute name. :)

Will he eat? Does he clamp his fins? From the way he is swimming, it could be that he is still recovering from the cold temps. When the temperature is as cold as 22 C, a betta expends all of his energy just staying alive so he may need some resting time. Ideally, 25-26 C would be best for him, if you can get it to that. I've used the same type of heater and it should get it there eventually.

If he's eating but he's not bloated, then go ahead and feed him as you normally do. This is a little gross, but monitor his poo to make sure he's not constipated and that it's a normal color. Whiteish poo can mean internal parasites or an internal bacterial infection.

Just to clarify, you don't want to add actual sea salt to the tank. By that, I mean you don't want to use the synthetic salts that are used to make a saltwater tank, such as Instant Ocean. Rather, you want to use aquarium salt that is specially made for medical purposes. The API brand has aquarium salt that should be readily available in most countries. You can also use any non-iodized table salt.

In this case however, you may want to add 1 tsp of epsom salts per gallon to his tank. Epsom salts are better for internal problems while aquarium salt is best for external problems like ich parasites and open wounds.

Hope this helps and I hope Thursday perks up as his water heats. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote