Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #11 
BettaFran

Hmm. Interesting. Did the person say how it causes problems? Even though bettas are carnivorous they would still get some veg second hand (from critters they eat that in turn eat veg). I'm not contradicting, I just wondered about specifics so we can make sure we're passing things on correctly. Thanks ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #12 
Kittiesdragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFran View Post
Hmm. Interesting. Did the person say how it causes problems? Even though bettas are carnivorous they would still get some veg second hand (from critters they eat that in turn eat veg). I'm not contradicting, I just wondered about specifics so we can make sure we're passing things on correctly. Thanks ;)
Hey BettaFran, I think the reason that peas could cause an issue is because they are so very high in fiber and because Bettas are carnivorous in nature their digestive tract isn't made to handle the large amount of indigestible material. However the second hand veggies are already predigested so not as much shock on the system.
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #13 
BettaFran

K. Thanks. Maybe I'll reassess the whole eat a pea thing. ;)
In preventing bloat, then, is there anything else recommended other than pre soak FD foods? (I guess this is a bit off topic, so it can be moved if need be).
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #14 
BettaPrincess13

thanks!!

yeah I'm afraid to feed my betta fish anything other than pellets just cause Ive heard so many bad things happening when feeding worms and peas. but I'll fast him since I feed him now twice a day so he doesn't get constipated or overfeed and bloated

what happens if a betta fish gets a hold of a piece of an old pellet a few hours old? I normally take out all the uneaten food but Im guessing a piece got hidden in the gravel and I didn't see it and I saw him just now find it and eat it. it had been in their since this morning so 6 hours about...
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #15 
BettaFran

I wouldn't worry about it. Have you tried feeding one pellet at a time? That's what I do with Es. That way I'm sure he's eating them all and nothing going to waste.