Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
As much as I HATE the way Bettas are kept at most Petsmart, Petco, wal-mart, lots of LFS' & so on, I've made the choice not to purchase from those types of places any more. If they don't take good care of their bettas I won't purchase any from them. I know I'm only one person so they won't notice but I feel better not supporting their abuse.
If you can't get them from those places, where will you get them from?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #12 
tngirl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
If you can't get them from those places, where will you get them from?
You can order from Aquabid or purchase directly from a breeder. I personally feel alright purchasing from my local Petsmarts. Their fish always look healthy and leave the shelves fast enough that they don't spend a lot of time in nasty cup water.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
You can order from Aquabid or purchase directly from a breeder. I personally feel alright purchasing from my local Petsmarts. Their fish always look healthy and leave the shelves fast enough that they don't spend a lot of time in nasty cup water.
My favorite local place for bettas would be my Petsmart as well...They seem to take half decent care of their bettas....But with Aquabid, you really don't know how they are keeping the bettas. And how do you find breeders? Do you buy from the breeders on this forum?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #14 
snowflake311

I use to save Walmart fish. I will not do it any more. If you buy them they will stick more. If no one buys the fish they will stop stocking them.

As for petCo the one near me keeps the Bettas in small cups but they do change the water for them. So they are not in that bad of shape. Petsmart near me has a very poor selection of fish they are not healthy. My petCo has people that care I am lucky I guess.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #15 
tngirl92

My heart is just too big! I usually try not to look because I know I will be going home with a fish, but I am happy with my choice to bring Penfield home. No matter how many stores I don't buy from, there will always be much more ignorant and irresponsible people purchasing their fish. I will do my small part in saving the ones I can.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #16 
sassyfriend

I too have a big heart and if I could I would buy them all. I feel so sorry for the poor things!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #17 
BittyB

The one thing I do not get is why save the fish, but no mention to say anything to WalMart? Take pictures of the bad conditions, the fin rot, etc. and send it to the appropriate channels in corporate, to local animal welfare, talk to the manager face to face, the pet dept person, etc. I saw one of our WalMarts here had a dead betta fish molding up and two alive left not doing so well. I got on them so hard and Im going in to check it stays right. It can't get better if we don't try to change the care of the stock. I'm glad you got him and he will be healing up, but I hope you gave them some cr@p at the least. I happen to work at another WalMart and the aquariums there are surprisingly healthy and clean.

Last edited by BittyB; 06-28-2013 at 03:18 AM.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote