Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 
Viva

Soil for an NPT question

Hey all, starting up a new NPT in my 28 gallon sorority. I bought Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil which contains composted bark, Sphagnum peat moss, and pasteurized poultry litter (chicken manure). I am hesitant to use it because of the poultry litter...this is what it says about it:

"Poultry manure is an important ingredient in organic gardening. For this reason, Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Soil uses pasteurized poultry litter as the main source of natural fertilizer in the organic potting soil. Poultry litter is composted to a high temperature to kill any harmful bacteria. Poultry litter adds many micro-nutrients to the potting soil, including nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, also known as potash. It also adds magnesium, calcium and sulfur."

Does anyone have any comments on this soil for an NPT? Is it safe? Have you used it with success in an NPT? Thanks...
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #2 
Deanna01

If it is the potting soil, it is okay. If it is the garden soil, it is not as good because it contains cow manure.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #3 
Viva

Ok awesome, it does say Potting Mix on it.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #4 
VJM

All my tanks use it, and it's fine. There are a couple things to be aware of:

1. Put it through a screen or sieve and get out all the chunks.
2. I am successful with 1" of soil, and 1-1.5" of sand. Less cap= terrible mess later.
3. Don't move plants, and if anything spreads by underground runners put in plastic dividers to contain it. Less disturbance is better.
4. You will get bubbles. Don't worry about it. Just poke the soil with a skewer once a week, or when you see part of the sand mounting up.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote