Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 
Ange1seyes

How much Aquarium Salt

How much Aquarium Salt do you all use per gallon of water? According to the box of salt I got I should be using a rounded tablespoon per gallon. This salt looks like rock salt so that seems like alot to me. My tank is only 3 gal and when I set it up I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of aquarium salt and my water tests really soft.
Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you treating for something or using it just because? It has been reported by some that long term use of aq salt with a Betta can cause organ problems. The box of aq salt I have states 1 teaspoon per gallon.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 
Ange1seyes

I was just using it for the initial set up as I read somewhere it would help new betta adjust to the tank. I won't use it for my 50% water changes but should I use when I do the 100%'s? Typically we have VERY hard water where I live. I guess maybe I should test the water straight out of the tap.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
The African

I personally only use salt for treatments. using salt to "help new betta adjust to the tank" would just be like a treatment to make it more resistant to things like fin rot after the immune system taking a knock from the stress of being moved and placed in a new home. I've read a lot that prolonged exposure to salt can cause liver and kidney damage, that's why you stop treating with salt after 10 days and move to something like an antibiotic if the problem isn't resolved. I would recommend just getting a good water conditioner that aids in stress relief or something like API's Stress Coat.

you could always "treat" him initially and gradually dilute the salt by using fresh water at your subsequent water changes

knowing your tap water parameters is always a good idea

hope this helpps

Last edited by The African; 06-26-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added a line
The African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

It won't help your betta adjust. All AQ salt really does is help with the shedding of external tissues. Unnecessary exposure to salt should be avoided. As The African mentioned, API Stress Coat + is good to use. Or if you can get your hands on Indian Almond Leaves those are awesome too.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #6 
Ange1seyes

Thanks

Thanks for the answers! I will just dilute it out with the water changes. I am already using the Stress Coat + and a water conditioner. After getting a good water test kit, all of my water is well within parameters.

Tested my tap water straight out of the faucet too and it comes in with a ph of 7.4 and within acceptable parameters for the others.