Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 
MediBedi

encouraging breeding

When taking a white hm male betta and a black hm female betta is there a way to encourage breeding between the two if the male shows no interest in her? I think it maybe her color because he seems to prefer lighter colors (white to be exact lol.. )

Only option I was given was to show him the black female for awhile and let him get use to seeing that color, is there anything else I can do? just started conditioning the two today
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 
trilobite

Id try separatingting them from sight and only let them see each other for about 5 mins a day while conditioning
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #3 
Myates

When I have stubborn pairs I will separate the pairs and not allow them to see ANY fish at all for a week or so..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #4 
MediBedi

I'll give that a try and see how it goes, wondering though after a week of seeing no other fish if he still doesn't make an effort at flaring or even noticing her... guessing it'd be a no go then huh? The female is showing alot of interest in him, he just acts like shes not there lol...
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
When I have stubborn pairs I will separate the pairs and not allow them to see ANY fish at all for a week or so..
Solitary confinement for awhile? Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #6 
Myates

You should see a 180 difference on the male after a week (heck, even a few days.. but a week is better ;) ) of not seeing any other fish at all (not even for 5 minutes a day). A lot of breeders will use that trick, along with keeping them in the dark for a few days as well.. they swear that the fish will breed like you wouldn't believe after they are shipped or in the same "shipping" conditions.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Solitary confinement for awhile? Lol
Yup! They become too desensitized when they see each other often.. mine see each other 24/7 and the young males are always raring to go, but even then after a couple/few weeks they are like "meh" to a female. So I have been doing the "solitary confinement" and have had great luck.. all but for one.. my stubborn black male.. who apparently does not like light colored females. At all. Regardless of being alone for over a week. Nope. Won't have any of it. But LOVES a dark colored female..

So yeah.. you may not have success, he just may not like that particular female you are trying to place him with.. sometimes they are like that

-.-
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm sorry to jump in with a off topic question, but what would the outcome be from a super blackXplantinum white cross?

Also, when they are in solitary, feed with live/frozen foods and high quality pellets often.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I don't know enough of the SB genetics - it is said to be copper based, but I get no coppers when crossing them to blue - only blackish blue and black irid, a whole bunch of them were marble, some turned out white/pale. Some even said it had dragon background . . . . but no dragons appeared. So I'm guessing everything I've read/heard about them are false.

But the platinum is a steel blue background with white opaque (this is also a steel blue background) and metallic.

SB x platinum : I'm guessing you will get black with irid, white opaque, maybe platinum . . . in the least.

OP: isolation is the best way to get them aggressive.
But sometimes they need time to realize the other color is also a betta. Usually whites have light colored siblings and some may not immediately recognize dark colors as bettas. Perhaps, letting them be together for a few minutes at a time may help (the male must be aggressive, otherwise a challenge from an unknown color may stress him). Once each recognizes the other and both are aggressive enough, then use the usual method (your usual method) of isolating - introducing - breeding.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #10 
Myates

I believe there is some copper in the super black.. my super black boy is BLACK, but when taking a picture of him with a flash you can barely make out some copper.. this is him with a flash used - very little irids, some copper base
Attached Images