Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
carlos puron

55 gal project

He y'all this weekend I'm planning on buying a 55 gallon tank and I'm looking to do an aquascape in it but I want to do it with low light plants I don't want to get plants that need too much care just something good looking for my living room i have sand that I would like to use is for fresh water aquarium so I need some advice what kind of plants do you recommend I was thinking on java moss to make It look like a mountain some on driftwood so it would look like trees some floating plants and anubias what would I need for lighting and soil and how to avoid that they get yellow

Have a couple of mollies that usually are messing with the moss I have a the tank I think they eat it so I guess I might need to rehome them

I have three schools of tetras now on my 30 gal black skirts black phantom and blood fin do you guys know if I can have a betta with them or they would be nipping on his fins ?

Well thanks for reading
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 
Nothingness

if your not planning any rooted plants then your fine with just sand. Floating plant and stuff you attach to driftwood like anabus and moss get their nutrients from the water column. If you go rooted then you will either need something like miracle gro organic or just use root tab fertilizer in the sand.

if you dont buy a complete kit with light then check home depot for a good light selection for cheap. if your going low light then just get a single florescent tube light with a 6500k or lower bulb. any more light will push you into the med-high light levels

Last edited by Nothingness; 06-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

I have a 55 gallon tank, and for low-light plants you need 1-2 watts per gallon. So basically you need at least one 55 watt bulb. I bought a fixture at Petco that uses two 50 watt bulbs of 9000K each. So therefore I have almost 2 watts per gallon. I don't know if all my plants are considered low-light plants, but they are all doing ok. My dwarf red lily and huge amazon sword are doing great, as well as my red ludwigia (which grows slowly but steadily). My micro sword is also doing well (stays alive and green but doesn't seem to be growing at all in the 3 months that it's been in the tank), and I have some water wisteria, small amazon swords, and an anubias nana, all of which are doing well. I use organic miracle grow soil with a sand cap, so the fertilizers in the soil help a lot. The plants might yellow a little bit at first while they adjust to your tank, but they should recover quickly. If they start melting in a few weeks that means your lights aren't strong enough or don't have a high enough K number.

Your betta should be ok with those tetras. I'm pretty sure neons are the only ones that get nippy, but don't quote me on that.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #4 
carlos puron

Could led light be an option cause I just saw a package at Wal-Mart that includes everything to star and it has two tops with 15 led bulbs each one a total of 30 but would those lights help the plants grow?
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

LED lights are an option, but it's hit or miss unless you pay a lot. I use LED desk lamps over my 10 gallon tank. They are 800 lumens, but I don't know the K number or the wattage. They keep my low-light plants alive. But I think it's difficult to get LED's bright enough for a 55 gallon. They definitely sell them, but I think they're expensive. You might want to check out the forums on plantedtank.net. They have a whole board on aquarium lighting.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote