Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 
boardopboy

Pardon the introduction...

I don't see an actual "New Members" area, but this looks like as good a place as any to make my first post and say hello!

I am Jeremy and this weekend, my wife rescued a betta and gave him to me for my birthday!

My nature has always been to research the snot out of just about anything I take an interest in (if yer gonna do it, do it right, right?) and that's how I wound up here! Boy was I surprised to realize just how much goes in to betta keeping beyond what most people think. Shocked actually!

Anyway... My wife brought home this little guy from work. They were holding a promotion and giving these bettas away when you bought a certain dollar amount of clothing. When she first told me I thought nothing of it but after spending Saturday afternoon poking around these forums, it kinda made me angry! Before she even had him home, I had already been to Petsmart to buy the bare minimum set up, a 5.5 gallon tank kit. Plastic plants (I jumped the gun early on that one) a static heater (again didn't read quite that far) thermometer, gravel and so on. By the time he got home, his tank was ready to rock! Gave him some time to float, and within 2 hours of being home, he was in his new home! 20 minutes later I had to come back here because the filter was kicking his behind all over that tank! One DIY water bottle filter baffle later and he can swim freely!

Guess now is a good time to introduce you to Walter. From my reading I believe him to be a Veil Tail. He's pretty beat up from that cup, but I can already see improvements in his health and his coloring is becoming more pronounced. He is eating well... about 3 or 4 pellets 3 times a day.

I'll be doing his first water change tonight, and my future plans include a filter sponge baffle to replace the water bottle baffle. Live plants, tons more hiding spots and most importantly an adjustable heater. I've managed to keep the tank at a steady 78 degrees so far, but only because of the light on the hood by day, and that POS heater by night.

Man, That's some "Hello!" I've got tons of questions... but I'll save those for the appropriate portions of the forum! Thanks!
Attached Images

boardopboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #2 
Riverotter

This is the spot and welcome!

Walter is a beauty and lucky to have you.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 
Seki

Aw, kudos to you for doing the right thing and not just sticking the poor guy in a vase! Walter is a lovely fish, and he's lucky to have such a caring owner!

Be warned... bettas are addictive! "I'll just have one," I thought... a year and a half later, I'm setting up my sorority, which will bring me up to... 10 or 11. >.<

Welcome to the addiction~

ETA: Careful about feeding him 12 pellets a day. That's a bit excessive and you don't want him to develop any issues from it. I feed my boys 3-4 Omega One pellets once a day and fast them every Friday.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #4 
boardopboy

Thanks for the feeding tip, Seki. I'm only giving him that much to in an attempt to get him healthy again. I planned to taper that off a bit soon.

Can I ask... why the fasting?
boardopboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5 
Seki

Fasting is a common practice simply to give the fish a chance to clear out their systems. Even the best pellets still include grains, and sometimes a betta's system can get backed up after a while. Bettas are carnivores, they are set up to eat meat, so while the pellets are formulated to provide excellent nutrition, it is not exactly what they were designed to eat in the wild. I fast my boys once a week, and I've noticed that I really don't have any bloating issues with any of them.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to you and Walter
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote