Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #1 
ShadyLex

Betta has ich

I posted a thread in the Betta Fish Care section but I think it's more appropriate to open up my problem here.

Yesterday I noticed my betta darting around his tank a lot, moving erratically whenever he bumped into a plant or the heater. I thought this was him being stressed but that was not it. He has a case of ich and he is currently being acclimated for his hospital tank.

I've read around and some people are saying to raise the temp to 85F gradually. I'm doing this right now slowly. Others say to use AQ salt and I would like to know if that would help out.

Here is the form to help out.

Hospital tank

Housing
What size is your tank? Hospital tank/ 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 81F at the moment, going to slowly move it up to 85F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning and evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White spots all over his body and fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yesterday he darted all around the tank rubbing himself against the plant and heater, now he's pretty normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Clean water and bumping up the temp
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe about a year? Less?
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

Go buy aquarium salt at the pet store. Salt will dehydrate the parasites. It one of the natural method to treat ich, with aq salt and temp raised. The temperature 85* is perfect it will help to speed up parasites cycle and fall them faster so you can remove them manually with full water changes.
Pre mix salt in the separated jug and shake it well make sure the crystals dissolved. Do daily water changes (100%). Do salt for 14 days. Pre mix 1 tsp/gall Aquarium salt 3 times, 12 horus apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration.
Make sure you acclimate him slowly.
A lot of times you can get rid of them with salt and temp raised. Some times people still need to use medication. So give us update on his progress.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-29-2013 at 10:25 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

On the question how often you performed water changes you wrote -once a day. Did you mean once a weak? Do you know how to acclimate your betta to the new water ?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #4 
ShadyLex

The once a day is for the hospital tank. I change his actual tank water once a week. I do know how to acclimate him to the new water. I have him in a cup of his old water and drop in 5 drops of the new water every 5 minutes for one hour.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

If you don't want to use salt, then you can just bump the temperature up to at least 86, which will disrupt the life cycle of the parasite. Adding salt when the water is at least 86 is not going to make the parasites any deader.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #6 
ShadyLex

He is in his hospital tank right now that has no salts in it whatsoever. The tanks temp is now 81F and I want to bump it up to 85F. Is 86F safe for a betta? As long as I do the temp change gradually it won't kill him, yeah?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #7 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLex View Post
The once a day is for the hospital tank. I change his actual tank water once a week. I do know how to acclimate him to the new water. I have him in a cup of his old water and drop in 5 drops of the new water every 5 minutes for one hour.
Sorry i am just running like crazy being very late to my work, as usually :) I figured out it the hospital tank right a minute after i wrote it, and i did see you wrote that you acclimated him. Sorry just really late. But yes you doing right thing. Do not afraid to use aquarium salt, it not going to harm him, you need to make sure you will get rid of them completely so do not stop treating him even if you think he got better, you need to insure you get rid the once that can hid in the gills area.
Keep us updated:)
And for one gallon i like to do full water changes every about 4 days. I have a few tank at work (one gall) and when i changed them once a week it so much debries there, even though the doctor who feed them give them once or sometimes two pellets a day. So i figure out every 4-5 days is better:) They have a feast though when i feed them 2 times a week that i am there.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #8 
ShadyLex

Alright, started working on the pre mix of AQ salt water. For now he's going to have clean water and 85-86F temp. Don't got much to do today so I'm going to be playing fish doctor. I'll keep updating on his progress.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLex View Post
He is in his hospital tank right now that has no salts in it whatsoever. The tanks temp is now 81F and I want to bump it up to 85F. Is 86F safe for a betta? As long as I do the temp change gradually it won't kill him, yeah?
No, 86 won't kill the fish - thats actually within the fishs preferred temp range. I treat all new fish for ich while in quarantine at 88 degrees - about 50 species of fish have been through the treatment. Haven't found a fish that couldn't handle it.

There is a threshold for heat treatment. While 85 may work, it is awful close to not working. You will know if its working after a few days. After 3 days you should see improvement, and after 5-6 days it should be gone. If you don't see improvement after 3 days, I would bump up the temp a couple more degrees.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #10 
ShadyLex

Alright, got the temp up to 85F and going to bump it up to 86F. I got the bucket full of water and one dose of AQ salt on the side in case I feel like I should add it. So far he is still active and ate one pellet when I offered it. Good news for me.