Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #6421 
Janan

For those of you who are receiving multiple fish from Aquabid, how do you go about quarantining that many? How big a container do you use for each one? I am going on vacation during the time my girls will be in quarantine and my grown son will house sit and take care of the fish.

Since my two granddaughters will be staying also, I would like to use one tub (with heater) with multiple containers in the tub. I would keep the tub in my bedroom, out of sight.

Also, can I have jugs of water with the Stress Coat in it sitting on a shelf for him to use? Then all he needs to do is pour most of the water out of their container and pour in new water. How often? Daily? I read every three days somewhere.

Does this sound like a good plan? Suggestions?
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #6422 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janan View Post
Miracle II !!! lol That's better than the garbage disposal.
Haha indeed...Miracle seems like a nice name for her. I was thinking Houdini but that's too masculine for such a pretty girl.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #6423 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janan View Post
For those of you who are receiving multiple fish from Aquabid, how do you go about quarantining that many? How big a container do you use for each one? I am going on vacation during the time my girls will be in quarantine and my grown son will house sit and take care of the fish.

Since my two granddaughters will be staying also, I would like to use one tub (with heater) with multiple containers in the tub. I would keep the tub in my bedroom, out of sight.

Also, can I have jugs of water with the Stress Coat in it sitting on a shelf for him to use? Then all he needs to do is pour most of the water out of their container and pour in new water. How often? Daily? I read every three days somewhere.

Does this sound like a good plan? Suggestions?

I personally don't QT when I'm getting multiple fish. To me, if they can survive shipping then they are probably in good condition. Only f I see one not looking well do I QT it.

But, your plan does sound good. If you have any 2 liter bottles that'd be perfect for QT, or you can use solo cups or other large unused drinking cups. Do a w/c every day ir two and you'll be in good shape. Instead of a gallon jug, maybe filling a 5 gallon bucket would be better. That way your son won't have to refill it
Too often.

Edit: I should add that my not QT'ing isn't a good plan of action, so don't follow my lead if possible. It does occasionally backfire, I was only mentioning it because I can't speak for experience on how to QT that many fish, just what sounds like a good plan of action to me

Last edited by aemaki09; 06-29-2013 at 01:26 PM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #6424 
Janan

The fish (5) (I already have 2) will arrive around the 10th. I'm leaving for vacation on the 25th.

I would love to put them all in the aquarium (10 g) the day after they arrive, but will the girls have had time to acclimate and develop their pecking order in 2 weeks? I know a month in a quarantine cup is a long time, if I wait to introduce them when I get back, but which is best for the girls in the long run?

Without doubt, it would be easiest to have the girls in the aquarium when I leave. My son could watch for aggression and remove the troublemaker (I would have a timeout place for her in the aquarium).
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #6425 
Viva

Right now I have 5 clear betta cups and covers like you see at the pet store from when I got my bettas at Petco/PetSmart. And I also have some smaller, yellow cups from my work that have lids. Right now I have them floating in the tank that just got set up (finished it last night at around 2:30 A.M. O_O) I have a total of 14 bettas quarantined and some snails too.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #6426 
Riverotter

Janan, I would think that 2 weeks would be enough time to show if someone was going to be a bully, or if they were all going to gang up on one girl.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #6427 
snowflake311

This guy is not too much money. I think it's a sexy fish
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1372798804
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #6428 
Janan

I agree if fish survives trip, then technically it has been in quarantine. Then, if it's not a bad idea, the day they arrive, I will put them in their cups and float them in the aquarium for a day. The next day, I will release them all at once and watch them closely for the next two weeks.

I will also take my one female that is currently in the aquarium out and rearrange the plants and decor. That way, all 6 girls get put in a new environment at once.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #6429 
aemaki09

2 weeks is more than enough time.

My girls have it down within 2 days
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #6430 
Janan

Sorry I captured this thread to ask about quarantine. Thanks for the help!

An aquabid question now. If you had to spend $50 on one fish, which one would you buy, if either?
Attached Images

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this