Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #1 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Otos for $1.00

I just read on another forum that PetSmart will have otos for $1.00 through mid-July. One guy's store didn't have them but did order them for him.

I was going to get Pygmy Cories but this may change my mind.

BTW, I've been watching youtube videos. Are Otos more active Pygmy Cories? Thanks!

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-29-2013 at 07:16 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
Minnieservis

I've been debating between otos and Pygmy cories too. The price of the otos is soooo cheap compared to the cories that it may just make up my mind for me!
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love ottos and this would be the perfect time to get a small group. Does anyone know how you would quarentine them while keeping them healthy?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #4 
Nicci Lu

Pygmy cories are more active. The first few weeks you have otos, they will flit constantly around your tank like, "Food food! I need food! Oh, there's some!" Stop. Nom nom nom. "Oh my god, where's the food!" More flitting. But then they get settled in and your tank starts to look like an opium den with fat, lazy otos lolling around. You will be stricken with the urge to poke them to make sure they're still alive. Don't- it means they're happy and comfortable. If you have lots of plants (which you should if you get otos), they will hang out on the leaves and you will get to spend hours of fun playing 'Find the Otos'. That being said, I love my otos, but if it's activity you want to see, stick with the corys.

I do not quarantine my otos because they are so sensitive when first brought home. The only way QT could be done safely, IMO, was if the tank has been set up and running for a while, perhaps a grow out tank for plants. They need biofilm to eat and it's critical that they have food that they recognize as food when first brought home. When I add new otos, I also add half a dose of Paraguard to the tank for the first couple days to prevent spread of parasites/bacteria.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote