Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #1 
BBgirl

Dusty and our cat

This morning when my daughter left for school I noticed that the netting I am covering Dusty's bowl with was half in the water and the rubber band that holds it there half off. I thought Brandi must have messed with it.
I fixed it and let it go. Anyway, later a freind came by and we ran a quick errand. No longer than 7 minutes. When we got back the cat was acting like she had done something wrong and she knew it. Her paws were not wet. I looked for Dusty. He had burried himself into the gravel under his plant and was laying on his side there. I thought he was dead. So I reached in and grabbed the plant (silk plants with weighted bases) and he swam right back. He seems fine. There was a little cat hair floating on top so I did a 30% water change and he seems fine and back to normal.
I will keep you informed but I think he is going to be ok. He had a nice bubblenest going a few days ago which of course is gone after the water change. So hopefully he is still strong and happy enough to start the next one. He is the only nest builder of the 3.

Has any of you found your betta burried under something and playing dead?

I think he was playing dead as opposed to getting sick because he is moving around again as usual.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #2 
sumsum

It probably is in the istinct of Bettas to try to hide from danger. If you have some sort of wood or metal and a drill I would make a wood or metal tank cover with legs so it can stand on its own and can't be moved unless you pick it up (Cat proof).=)
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #3 
BBgirl

Great idea. I've been thinking and thinking since I got him 2 weeks ago about all the different covers I could make.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #4 
sumsum

With a cat the more protection the fish has the better off the fish will be.=))
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #5 
Jynx

Yeah i've lost bettas to cats- they'll just scoop them up right out of the bowl :(
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote