Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #11 
Atena

Hi Myates, I just got the thermostat today, I was wondering where do you keep the probe (instructions say not to submerge it)?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #12 
Myates

Tape it (I use electrical black tape) to a section of the flexwatt itself. It will usually keep it within a few degrees of where you set it.. depending upon the room temp. I think mine is set for 85ish and keeps the containers steady at 79-80. So you may want to play with it a little bit to find what works best.. but when you do it will stay just right.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #13 
willyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
I am not seeing a thermostat available with the flex tape, can you recommend one?

Also, do you just put this on the shelf then place the boxes on top to keep the temperature right?
you will become tired of that, remember if your betta breeds at all well you can upwards of 300 betta, per breeding.. thats a lot of beannies to work with.. i have used up to 600 beannies at a time.. it gets real old changing all that water.. that is why a barracks is so popular,, i have a barracks that fills slowly and circulates but as it fills it runs outside on the flowers.. best investment i ever made.
willyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #14 
Atena

I am planning a water exchange system for them for the future. With one switch it will empty out the old water to 2" off the bottom and add new to all the tanks all at ones.

I don't want the fish sharing water because if one gets sick you loose all 300.

But you never know, you may be right. :)

Atena :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #15 
Myates

It can get tiresome, but only if you breed in large numbers and don't sell as much. Luckily my last spawn, every one of them was sold fast, 98% of them the first day they were listed. I personally use 3 airline hoses held together by plastic zipper ties and will go through each beanie (not moving them) and siphon out 90% of the water with it - collecting the waste as well. It drains pretty quick.. hold a finger on the opposite end of the airlines and move to the next beanie. I will do a thorough cleaning of the containers about twice a month using those sponge paint brushes, but I do daily water changes.

I know others who just set up a folding table near the sink and will fill up a couple empty containers and start the transfer/cleaning that way.

But like mentioned above, it does depend on how big of a breeding program you run and whether or not you have an outlet for your unsold fish (I have a wholeseller that takes them off my hand for 50% profit, which is more than I would get from a LFS). Luckily, haven't needed to use him yet, but that's an option for me to help keep the numbers down to a reasonable amount. So definitely look into that as well - finding an alternative place to take the ones you don't sell - so you don't have as many to clean.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote