Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #1 
bluebettafish

Jumped out

My new betta jumped out of the bowl (waiting for his tank). I have heard of this happening so I've been loosely covering it with saran wrap but I had it off now because I'm here and I just fed him. He was swimming around exploring his tiny bowl and then I heard some splashing noise. I looked int he bowl and he wasn't in there. He was struggling just outside of the bowl. It took a few seconds for me to grab him and put him back in the bowl because he was jumpy.

He is resting at the bottom right now. He looks as if he's shocked as to what just happened. Should I be concerned? he doesn't look hurt even though I might have grabbed him by his fins. My priority was getting him back in the water!!! He just flared at me so I guess that's a good sign?
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #2 
Rain Drop

I think he'll be okay...it's a good thing bettas are labyrinth breathers!

But still, I would keep an eye on him for the next little bit.....did he fall far?

EDIT;;

100th post! 8D
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #3 
bluebettafish

No he fell just outside of the bowl. I should have kept the cover on...
He's starting to swim around a bit now. I hope he'll be OK.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #4 
AlexXx

I dropped one of mine in the sink during a water change before, luckily i had the drain closed for this reason... but then i got a net and never had to deal with this again. I had to pick him up, he was fine.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a neighbor that had just brought her betta home from the petstore and she put the bag, with the fish in it , on her kitchen counter. She turned to do something else and she heard this plopping sound, turned back around and found the bag on the floor! She thought, oh my gosh! I killed him!! But he was ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #6 
Vikki81207

Wow that's funny but sucks DQ. lol.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #7 
Lady Ivy

Smile

Dn't worry he will be ok just make sure u always have him cover whn u r not around even whn u r around u turn away n seconds things like that hapn is like a baby
Lady Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #8 
bluebettafish

Wow, I can see that this happens very often! The one I have at work jumped into the small hole where the water comes out through the filter. I freaked out but he came out like nothing happened. They're playful little creatures, aren't they? I have the holes covered with nylon now.

The orange guy seems to be doing just fine. This morning, I put a CD on top of the bowl before I left. It fit perfectly and it has a hole so he can breathe. I should be getting the new tank very soon.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #9 
Kim

That happened to me once in Animal Science! That was before I got to take professor lupin home and I was cleaning his tiny little bowl and he jumped out into the sink. I had to pick him up and put him back into the cup, but I was so afraid he'd die especially since he was in such a bad environment to begin with. I can't blame him for trying to jump out of that cold bowl!

None of my bettas have ever even tried to jump out of their tanks though....even Prof. Lupin. I don't think they have any reason for trying ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #10 
CodeRed

I heard that sometimes when bettas jump it's because they're trying to escape toxins in the water. My Deimos was jumping all the time in his old jar, so I moved him, and he hasn't jumped since...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote