Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol well we're not all experts per se, but it helps that we have experience in the field

as far as fin curling, they can straighten out depending on which type make them curl. If they are curled because of hard water, they will always stay curled, no matter what. But if they were curled from the ammonia build up in cups, or in tanks then they can uncurl a bit or all the way depending on how bad, when they are given new fresh water frequently. So it's not the store water, but it's the ammonia build up in the cups and I have one boy who had that very same thing happen to his ventral fins but it hasn't uncurled all the way, I've had him for about 5 months now. It's certainly straightened a bit but it will never be fully straight again.

Yeah if you test and see your ammonia get above .25ppm then go right ahead and do a small change, 25-50% should be just fine if you've got a siphon to use.

And as far as plants, it depends on how many you have. It will help some if you do have a few in there but it depends on the size of the tank, the fish and how many plants. It's not just fish waste that goes into ammonia, it's also dissolve organic compounds which can come from plants/water/fish. So the more plants you have the better, yes. And actually with plants they do act as a buffer against harmful levels of the three; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, if you have enough.

If you have a filter they will actually help with the Nitrogen cycle and getting it going, usually if you get plants from another tank they will already have Beneficial Bacteria on it BB (that's what your growing during the cycle), and so it helps give the cycle a "kick-start" and then of course protects the fish during the actual cycling process where the BB are being grown Does that answer your question?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #12 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Lol well we're not all experts per se, but it helps that we have experience in the field

as far as fin curling, they can straighten out depending on which type make them curl. If they are curled because of hard water, they will always stay curled, no matter what. But if they were curled from the ammonia build up in cups, or in tanks then they can uncurl a bit or all the way depending on how bad, when they are given new fresh water frequently. So it's not the store water, but it's the ammonia build up in the cups and I have one boy who had that very same thing happen to his ventral fins but it hasn't uncurled all the way, I've had him for about 5 months now. It's certainly straightened a bit but it will never be fully straight again.

Yeah if you test and see your ammonia get above .25ppm then go right ahead and do a small change, 25-50% should be just fine if you've got a siphon to use.

And as far as plants, it depends on how many you have. It will help some if you do have a few in there but it depends on the size of the tank, the fish and how many plants. It's not just fish waste that goes into ammonia, it's also dissolve organic compounds which can come from plants/water/fish. So the more plants you have the better, yes. And actually with plants they do act as a buffer against harmful levels of the three; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, if you have enough.

If you have a filter they will actually help with the Nitrogen cycle and getting it going, usually if you get plants from another tank they will already have Beneficial Bacteria on it BB (that's what your growing during the cycle), and so it helps give the cycle a "kick-start" and then of course protects the fish during the actual cycling process where the BB are being grown Does that answer your question?
Yes, that definitely answers many of my questions :'D Thank-you! I have two small plants right now in a three gallon. I eventually want to get more, but right now he's finally got some plants so I can stop fretting over that.

Thanks again! >w<
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome! Feel free to PM me anytime with questions if you got them ^_^
Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #14 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Very welcome! Feel free to PM me anytime with questions if you got them ^_^
Awesome! I will, thank-you so much! :'D

Update on Shark's tail-biting: His fins are healing up, and he hasn't been biting them anymore since I moved him into the living room. I also hold up a little mirror for him that I found, too, so he gets his ego-boost ;D
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sweet!! I'm glad he's doing better!!

Tags
acclimating, aquarium, new plant, plant, quarintine