Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

Getting too hot?

Boy, does this make me glad that there's no actual fish in my tank since I'm still cycling it...

How do you keep small tanks from getting too hot in the summer? No AC in the house, and it was poorly designed, so today it got up in the mid-90s in the house. I've been trying to keep my tank cool with a combo of DIY ice packs and a fan. It still got up to 87.5 deg in the tank before I swapped out ice packs after heading out to the store. The ice packs are only lasting a couple hours each!

I can't be the only one worried about tanks getting too hot! And to think, summer heat waves tend to get another 10 degrees hotter than it was today...
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

OMG. I have some of my fish in the patio and oh lordy.... Water temperature shot up to 90 degrees. Usually okay with the sliding doors open and window screen closed from sun. But WOW, mid 90's in your house? I would worry more about myself than the fish lol. This is tough. Usually with the cold we can easily use heater. Probably a good idea to get an AC running, at least for your sake.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #3 
shellieca

Other than spending big bucks on a chiller you're pretty much already doing what we'd suggest. You could maybe wet a towel in cool water, ring it out & wrap that around the tank. Also, you could swap out the warmer water for cooler water but since there's no fish in it I wouldn't worry too much about it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 
Flyby Stardancer

whatsupyall--I can take care of myself and my cats easily enough. I have a big fan that I run when I'm home. It's a swamp cooler, but the cooler part no longer works. Usually that and a cool drink is all I need to survive the summers! And my cats get ice in the water dishes, and there's plenty of laminate floor to lay on. Unfortunately, the house is what it is and there's no AC and there isn't going to be any AC in the forseeable future.

shellieca--I'm trying to think of ways to keep the ice from melting as fast. One I've had was gallon jugs of water, frozen solid and placed behind the fan, so that they chill down the air that the fan sucks in to blow over the tank. I only had a couple bottles available and they went into the freezer last night, so I didn't bother getting one out to test today. It's crazy-making, trying to keep tanks cool! I'm not even bothering with the QT tank I started running last night, since the only thing living in it is bacteria. According to the thermometer I have in it, it was up to 92 this morning, a full 10 degrees higher than what the room had dropped to overnight. I'll probably end up double-checking the temp later on with another thermometer.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #5 
hopeful fish

I am not running AC in my house either, and I have found that if I close the curtains 1/2 way or more in the morning and open them back up in the evening while running A TON of fans all day, I can keep my room pretty comfortable. Sunlight makes a lot of heat, so have you tried shutting the blinds on the windows a bit?
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #6 
Flyby Stardancer

The only open windows are north-facing. It's just a poorly-designed house when it comes to managing heat. It's always been an oven in the summer, no matter what was done. (I grew up in this house.)