Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #1 
Alysssa440

Betta is digging

My betta spends half his time with his nose in his rocks! It's like he's burrowing himself down, but of course that never happens. He just seems to be nose down, digging most of the time! What the heck is happening?!
Alysssa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #2 
Chevko

It might be that he's exploring, some can be weird, or he's, for lack of a better word, hunting. There might be food down there like detritus worms or fallen food, I have also heard of bettas stashing their food for later.

Just a couple ideas.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 
Alysssa440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
It might be that he's exploring, some can be weird, or he's, for lack of a better word, hunting. There might be food down there like detritus worms or fallen food, I have also heard of bettas stashing their food for later.

Just a couple ideas.
That's interesting! Although, I just cleaned his rocks and the whole tank today so I know there isn't any left over food, but maybe he doesn't know that! Thank you for the ideas!
Alysssa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #4 
thisismydesign

My baby betta likes to investigate his gravel. He doesn't dig but he kinda studies a few pieces before moving on. He's very inquisitive.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #5 
sainthogan

Some Bettas have been known to dig to find places to hide. Many owners have freaked out because they couldn't find their Betta, only to realize it had buried itself.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #6 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Some Bettas have been known to dig to find places to hide. Many owners have freaked out because they couldn't find their Betta, only to realize it had buried itself.
Learn something new every day! And it's still early here
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #7 
Ange1seyes

I noticed mine picking at the rocks on his fasting day. I figured he was hunting some food to eat. He has become a very efficient begger in the short week I have had him.
Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 
cowboy

I don't know if it's normal or not but mine used to always do that when I first got him. He stopped after a month or so though.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #9 
majesticstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I used to have one that did that all the time. I would wake up in the morning and freak out when I didn't see my boy followed by a frantic removal of all his decor only to see him swim out from under the rocks nonchalantly as though saying, "what are you doing?" Oh, that troublemaker....
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #10 
BettaPrincess13

my betta does that ALL the time lol at first I freaked out cause I thought he'd hurt himself doing it. if your betta is like mine he's probably looking for food. thats what mine does (he's even doing it now) he goes and put his face in the rocks then I see him nibbling on whatever he found (probably small pieces of food that might of sank when he was eating. he tends to spit out his pellets when he eats them to help break the food down so pieces it fly around so they must sink somewhere and he finds it) he has a bad habit of coming up taking his pellets and spitting them onto the gravel where he'll eat it. for some reason he prefers to hunt for his food at the bottom lol sometimes I wonder if he thinks he's another species of fish. he does come up for his food though I don't want him getting into the habit of thinking its going to be on the ground. he also digs a lot more on fasting days cause he can't seem to go a day without eating and will find anything to eat when pellets aren't an option
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote