Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #1 
Midnightwolf6

10 gallon

Well my boyfriend brought me a 10 gallon tank he bought off someone in Cali.
He showed up with it in pieces.. like literally the filters, yeah there were two, was completely taken apart with no instructions. So we spent over an hour trying to figure out what pieces went where. In the end only 1 filter worked, but I think I only need one right? It came with a ton of tubing which I have no idea goes where. A light with no light bulb. and a broken lid... So me and him are heading to walmart or petsmart tomorrow to get new pieces.
Anywho, is there anything important I need to know about 10 gallons? I read somewhere that you're suppose to let it filter for at LEAST a week... that seems so long I want to put my fishys in their new home now! haha
Midnightwolf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you're going to cycle, which you'll want to with a 10 gallon, it will take about a month.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #3 
Jupiter

Don't forget a heater.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #4 
Kim

Here's the thread to cycling. I STRONGLY suggest fishless cycling.

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3738
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #5 
AlexXx

i just started cycling my 10 gal tank 3 days ago. Go get a Freshwater test kit, i just picked one up @ pet supermart for 35 bux, kinda pricey, but its like 800 tests, so youll never have to get one again. Seemed like the best bet because ur going to have to test for Ammonia and Nitrite, and both of those tests costed about 15 bux alone (with only 100 or so tests). Get a Thermometer. I dont use a heater, i live in florida and its nice and warm here :) My water is always at about 76-78. If you live else ware i would suggest a heater probably. Although i am not very familiar with the climates. good luck! and enjoy! I cant wait to be fully cycled!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #6 
Midnightwolf6

I sooooood do not have $35.... I got my tank for 20 with everything included... Geez my new fish home is going to be empty for awhile =//

And I live in Arizona, usually 120 around here so I don't think I need to worry about a heater. Even at night when I turn off all the lights the temp only gets to maybe 72 if that. (I decided to check in the middle of the night once lol)

Last edited by Midnightwolf6; 09-08-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Midnightwolf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

Yay for midwest being -35 in the winter!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #8 
iheartmyfishies

You can actually BUY beneficial aquarium bacteria in liquid form. Here's a link:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752206
9 Dollars for the small bottle. Seems like a good deal and it will speed up the cycle a TON.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote