Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #1 
wrenderlust

Ammonia removers?

So I have a 1gal fishbowl that I keep as clean as possible (it holds 1 male betta). I want to minimize the ammonia buildup, but I can't use a bigger fishbowl because my dorm room is small and there are restrictions on what I can have. I read that a single male produces approximately .25ppm in 72 hours, and I wondered about an ammonia-removing water conditioner as an alternative to daily water changes. (His bowl is cleaned with a 100% WC at least once weekly, if not twice) Has anyone had any luck with these products?
wrenderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #2 
Bailmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenderlust View Post
So I have a 1gal fishbowl that I keep as clean as possible (it holds 1 male betta). I want to minimize the ammonia buildup, but I can't use a bigger fishbowl because my dorm room is small and there are restrictions on what I can have. I read that a single male produces approximately .25ppm in 72 hours, and I wondered about an ammonia-removing water conditioner as an alternative to daily water changes. (His bowl is cleaned with a 100% WC at least once weekly, if not twice) Has anyone had any luck with these products?
I believe all water conditioners kill ammonia
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #3 
sainthogan

No, not all water conditioners remove ammonia. I have had some that don't (it's been a while, so I don't remember which ones they were). So you'll need to check the conditioner label to make sure it does. Conditioner is generally better than just dechlorinetor because conditioners remove other things besides chlorine. Some of them also add in good things, like mine has Indian Almond Leaf Extract, and my female seems happier in this kind than other kinds that I've had.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually nothing removes ammonia except water changes.

Prime by Seachem only detoxifies ammonia and turns it into ammonium for 48 hours and then back to ammonia it goes. So to keep that 1 gallon pristine I suggest doing at least 2 water changes a week if not 3 to keep him healthy.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

I always keep this product around just in case. It is Seachem AmGuard.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/AmGuard.html
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote