Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
24carat

New Purchases, Some Questions (Pic Heavy-ish)

Hello everyone,

Since I was having an "up" day (only slightly tainted by having to buy a new car battery this morning -- Surprise!) I decided to go check with my fish guy about some plants.

I was still having some trouble finding 'carpet' plants or plants that could spread because literally none of the stores around here sell moss or the like. Still on a vain search for baby tears, and my luck with micro sword has been zilch.

I also had a free tank at home so I was going to grab a female to quarantine while I continue to prepare my 10 gallon. I found a cute, very tiny CT with lipstick. She was spunky and her cup was the dirtiest so I decided to take her home.

The fish guy at my local Petco does very well. He's pretty knowledgeable and he keeps his betta cups clean. I saw no sick bettas and while he was asking to order some ottos for me, I started to browse the male dudes.

I'm not really into the male bettas for some reason lol. I guess I've always just found the females to be really spunky and cute. But I saw an EE male who was struggling. His color was really pretty but he has cloudy eyes, one that is severely clouded over and he was floating on his side. I'm thinking maybe SBD? He looks really pitiful.

My fish guy came back and told me that he hadn't realized the EE was getting worse. His cup looked clean so it looks like he was receiving water changes. I wasn't going to get him because 20 was a steep price since I was also buying a few other things but Matt said he'd give me the EE half price and I can't argue with that so I took him home too.

So here's some pictures. I snapped a few of my older CT that I've had for about 2 and a half years. She's in a bowl because her 2 gallon has a mysterious crack in it.

UV who never stays still:

Weird question: She has brown spots on her face that kind of ombre down her back. They've always been there but occasionally I've questioned whether something was wrong or not? She's never acted strange, has a healthy appetite and is very vivacious. She was just fed too, so she looks chubby.

New Girl (she's too quick to get a pic of her in the 1.5 so here's the one of her in the cup)

And Cirrus, the EE. I took a few just to try to nab his ailments. I think he has some sort of SBD, cloudy eye, and maybe a little bit of Pop-eye.
He floats at an angle and slowly ends up on his side but he rights himself pretty quickly and tries to swim around occasionally. He's not clamped.
I can see his eye moving under the cloudiness. It looks like he can see.
He's in a very small square tank because I honestly don't know what to do with him and I didn't want him to struggle too much in a larger tank. I'm looking for advice on how to treat his issues.

Not sure why this one's small. Was trying to get a pic to see if he has popeye.

Sorry for the massive amount of text and information. I really want to help this poor guy out because he's beautiful. I'd like to see him swimming nicely.

Thanks a bunch, everyone!
24carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 
DoctorWhoLuver

Beautiful fish! :)
From what I can see, the brown spots look like her normal coloring.
Hmm.. looks like he has pop eye. Clean water and a 1tsp/per gallon dose of epsom salt should do the trick:) You can work your way up to 3 tsp, but it's better to start of with 1tsp.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #3 
24carat

Thanks! I was trying to look it up and I got mixed answers about the salts, but honestly I trust y'all here more than anywhere else so I'll go with that.

Do I need to do anything about the cloudy eye or do you think that'll go away when he's in warmer, cleaner water? And what about water changes?

He's still having trouble swimming down. Just sitting there on his side staring at me.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

The epsom salt should help with his SBD as well. As for his cloudy eye, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the salt and clean water should help with that too x]
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #5 
24carat

Ah thanks a bunch.

Meanwhile UV and New Girl are staying at the sides of their tanks checking each other out.