Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #11 
jadaBlu

I have found an airstone does help when they hang at the surface vs none. Antibiotics reduce atmospheric oxygen. I have tried it both ways and have much, much better results with an airstone. Also slowing reducing the temp to 78 will slow down bacterial growth.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #12 
Visionist

This is what my betta now looks like, there also appears to be very light fuzzy fungus on the ends of his tail as well.
You can see the red bits as well as the blob of fungus

Visionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

I would continue to use medication along with Epsom salt . Epsom salt will help with constipation. If he has white,clear,stringy poo it can be internal parasites and epsom salt will help to purge them out. So i would use Epsom along with medications.
I agree that medications reduce atmospheric oxygen so if you can find an airstone it will help.
Also is he eating? If he is eating it better chance to get out internal parasites, because they pass it with poop.
If you will get Epsom that you can find at any pharmacy department pre mix it first and make sure it dissolved and don;t have salt crystals. Pre mix 2 tsp/gall for the first day and then increase up to 3tsp/gall.
I would do 100% daily water changes though.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #14 
Visionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I would continue to use medication along with Epsom salt . Epsom salt will help with constipation. If he has white,clear,stringy poo it can be internal parasites and epsom salt will help to purge them out. So i would use Epsom along with medications.
I agree that medications reduce atmospheric oxygen so if you can find an airstone it will help.
Also is he eating? If he is eating it better chance to get out internal parasites, because they pass it with poop.
If you will get Epsom that you can find at any pharmacy department pre mix it first and make sure it dissolved and don;t have salt crystals. Pre mix 2 tsp/gall for the first day and then increase up to 3tsp/gall.
I would do 100% daily water changes though.
I can't do 100% daily water changes with the medication though.
Also he doesn't seem to be making much progress on the fungus, there is still a lot of fuzzyness on him and its been 3 days since he started medication.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #15 
Visionist

He seems to be getting worse, it looks like his scales are starting to stick out slightly(dropsy maybe?) the fungus isn't going away, infact I just noticed some more fungus coming from his gill. His fins aren't looking any better either. I'm not sure what could be causing all of this..
Parasites-drop immune system and cause him not to eat
Fungus appeared from lower immune system and fin rot started from fungus?
This all happened over a few days, came out of no where.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

White fuzz is often Columnaris. And Tetra Fungus Guard contains nitrofurazone, which is an antibiotic that is good at treating Columnaris.

Since he's been in the Fungus Guard for 3 days, there is something else going on.

If you can get ahold of Kanaplex (kanamycin), that would be a good antibiotic. It treats a wide range of bacterial infections, and acts internally, as well as externally.... However, it's not available at petstores like Petco or Petsmart, so you would either need to find a good petstore or order it online.

I would not use an airstone. A lot of bacteria (including the one that causes Columnaris) are aerobic, and multiply faster when given additional oxygen.

Since he's starting to pinecone, I would add Epsom salt. This will help draw out the excess fluid that he's retaining.

Epsom salt is available at supermarkets and pharmacies (but not petstores). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.)

I would start him out at a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom per gallon. (Make sure the salt is completely dissolved!)

Generally, I advise an increase of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt every 12 hours, until a maximum dosage of 3 teaspoons per gallon is achieved. This would be:
Initial: 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
12 hours: 1 teaspoon Epsom salt / gal
24 hours (1 day): 1.5 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
36 hours: 2 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
48 hours (2 days): 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
60 hours: 3 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon

However, if his condition is going downhill rapidly, you may want to ramp up the dosage increases. You could do them, say, every 6-8 hours apart. For example:
Initial: 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
6 hours: 1 teaspoon Epsom salt / gal
12 hours: 1.5 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
18 hours: 2 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
24 hours (1 days): 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon
30 hours: 3 teaspoons Epsom salt / gallon

Can you get ahold of an antiparasitical medication? Something like API General Cure, which contains Metronidazole and Praziquantel would be good.

You can combine Kanaplex, Tetra Fungus Guard, Epsom salt and API General Cure all together.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote