Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 
coffeebutts

Planning for 10gal - advice?

Hello! I have two bettas each in their own 2.5 gal tanks, but I'm looking to upgrade and purchase a 10 gal tank to divide it and let them live in instead :)

I am just having trouble finding a tank, and filter. I'm not too familiar with filter types and such, so I'm not too sure which one to get.

Deciding between either getting the tank and hood or a kit -

Right now I'm really focused on this basic tank, the TopFin 10 Gal Kit. Basic tank so I can get my own filter...I hear the tetra whisper 10 is good for bettas? I think? -

I've also heard people talk about this tank; the Aquaculture Home 10 gal starter kit...so curious if ppl had any experience with that and its filter ...

I guess that's it for now..any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

---edit---
The other day I had purchased this tank; the Grreat Choice 10 gal starter kit thinking it was the one with the whisper 10i...though not sure if I want to keep it idk if anyone has advice on that either - thanks

Last edited by coffeebutts; 06-29-2013 at 12:11 AM.
coffeebutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2 
jlllm

Some people have said it leaked right away and some loved it. I guess fill it up and wait and see. And perhaps get an aqua clear sponge to baffle the water flow. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

I was going to get a divider for my 10 gallon tank but heard lots of misery about them. Some are not wide enough and some keep popping out of place and floating up. and some the fish jump over.
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #3 
jlllm

Do you have a heater? I think Petsmart has sales on 25 watt heaters right now.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 
coffeebutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlllm View Post
Some people have said it leaked right away and some loved it. I guess fill it up and wait and see. And perhaps get an aqua clear sponge to baffle the water flow. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

I was going to get a divider for my 10 gallon tank but heard lots of misery about them. Some are not wide enough and some keep popping out of place and floating up. and some the fish jump over.
OK we'll just have to see then. And thank you, that baffle post is just what I needed :)

I've seen others posting about them making their own dividers and having way more success...actually my dad is making me a custom one of plexi glass with holes drilled in it so hopefully that'll be way better.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #5 
coffeebutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlllm View Post
Do you have a heater? I think Petsmart has sales on 25 watt heaters right now.
Yes, but I had been thinking of getting a new one since mine isn't really adjustable and only goes to like 78 degrees...but I will check that out too :)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #6 
jlllm

I just bought a new one because old one wouldn't shut off. Just kept heating.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #7 
jlllm

I just bought a new one because old one wouldn't shut off. Just kept heating.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 
Lights106

I have the whisper (that I got from a kit) and I dont like it. It's going to be replaced with in this next month. I love Fuval filters. Super quiet, adjustable flow, and well I like it. Lol so if the whisper doesn't work out, I'd go with a fuval next.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If your Dad can drill two plexiglass dividers, you can put the filter and heater between the two in the middle of the tank. Evens out heat and flow, cuts current, is hard for the fish to jump or get around it. Works great for me and many others here.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I have a few Tetra whisper 10i's. Near as I can tell, they work fine but for a divided tank - I would use two small sponge filters, one for each side. You can get an attachment that will allow you to hookup 2 to the same airpump and it will also let you adjust the airflow.
http://www.petco.com/product/119653/...Aquariums.aspx

I would go with a gravel substrate over sand though. Every time I change the water and refill, the water current moves the sane from the divider and I end up finding 2 fish on one side.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote