Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #11 
Rohland

Also, since your allowed 10 gals. I would personally get it.
You can pick up full kits, without the heater at walmart for $40.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #12 
1fish2fish

Thanks for the tips. I really do want to get a bigger tank. We're allowed 10 gallons but only one and I have two fish (plus they dont give us the table space to have a 10 gallon) I really like the 2.5 gallon bio orbs at petsmart (i think they come with everything). Right now I have no job so it is impossible for me to upgrade to anything but I do want to start saving (just remember I have to get two of everything).

I will try the aquarium salt and I have already taken out the sea shells. I will try to post some pics of him up today so everyone can see his tail.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #13 
BakaMandy

Salt baths aren't always the cure for fin rot but they are good for mild cases, usually if you see a hole or some fraying at the ends. But if your case is more severe where he has lost a large portion of his tail, you should consider medication. Although using salt baths throughout the duration of the treatment is still beneficial, not all Betta fish like salt baths, so it's in your judgment whether to use them or not.

If your case is more severe, you should first address whether or not your betta fish has fungal or bacterial fin rot. Fungal will have a tendency to eat up your betta fish's tail in a consistent manner and might appear as a white fuzzy bit at the edge of their fins, while bacterial will attack their fins in random areas leaving the edge black or bloody.

It is important to correctly assess the infection according to situation; as dramaqueen said use Jungle Fungus Eliminator in the case of fungal fin rot, and I would recommend Maracyn-two for bacterial fin rot. The use of a hospital tank is also a good idea, but your 1 gallon fish bowl is good enough :) Anything bigger will be a hassle, since you will have to do frequent water changes through out the course of their treatment because you don't want your fish to be reinfected with its dirty water (plus ammonia and nitrite from your fish's wastes will stress your fish out, making its immune system weaker).

If you are completely unsure which one your fish may have, you may use Maracyn (aimed towards fungal infections) and Maracyn-two (aimed towards bacterial infections) in combination, but do keep in mind the dosage you are giving to your fish, because you CAN overdose your fish.

Follow all the medical instructions, and if you haven't seen an improvement after two weeks of treatment, I'd recommend switching to ampicillin (Geltek Ampicillin is a good choice, and if you can't find ampicillin, you may use penicillin, but Ampicillin is the preferred choice.). The reason for this is because you don't want to jump straight to heavier medication because the bacteria can develop resistance to it and medication can be quite stressful for fish.

When your fin rot is gone, than you may use BettaFix. BettaFix isn't actually a treatment for fin rot, but it's rather meant to help promote regrowth after the fin rot is gone.

And in the case where you've had to do prolong treatment, you may have to do frequent water changes for the rest of their lives since they may be more prone to have relapses because their immunity to the disease is lower.

Also, keep the tank at a steady 80degrees F because it will promote better health for you betta fish and help its immune system combat the disease.

Phew :'D I think I'm done. I figured I'd give you all the fin rot info I know, since everyone was just giving you just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 09-14-2009 at 01:51 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

I honestly don't know if he has tail rot or just torn fins. It looks like his tail was kinda torn off (like if you just ripped a piece of paper). I used bettafix for a week and while it doesn't seem to be getting worse it is not getting better. I am going to try the aquarium salt as soon as I get a little money.

As for the other medications the pp offerd where can I go to get these? My options are pretty much petsmart or walmart. I really cannot afford any outrageously priced medications also. I know that may sound harsh but I have to put that out there I love my fish but im also on a VERY restricted budget.

I just looked up images of fin rot vs torn fins and I think it looks like my fish has fin rot. Im going to try daily 25% water changes and getting the aquarium salt. If that doesn't work I may have to look into other measures.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 09-14-2009 at 10:34 PM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #15 
BakaMandy

What kind of ornaments do you have in your tank?

If you have plastic plants or ornaments with pointed edges can tear your betta fish's fins. Their fins are practically as fragile as tissue paper.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #16 
Elena

How often do you change the water? And how much of it? In a one gallon bowl you should do 100% water changes at least twice a week. Fin rot is usually brought about by poor water quality, although other factors (like stress) can be involved. Are your fish able to see each other? If so that may be stressful for both.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #17 
iheartmyfishies

You know a picture would really help right now. Is there any way you can post one?
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote