Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Five's a company!

Long post ahead:

Today my Ancient World class was cancelled because my prof had jury duty, giving me a 4 hour break. I went to get some salt/Bettafix (Bettafix ended up being cheaper and lighter) and decided to go to a petstore in the mall instead of Petsmart.
When I went the last time, they had a very nice and large selection of crowntails. When I went on Tuesday though, they didn't have any. They said they receive new ones today...

Well, I went to the store, and headed for the back shelf where they keep them immidiately. Nada. :/
I grabbed the Bettafix and headed for the counter, when i saw them!

2 Crowntails and a Veiltail on the front shelves, with two other lackluster veiltails on the shelf bellow them. The two crowntails were flaring like mad against each other, wriggling around. It was like the sun, I tell you! A pure orange one and a pure yellow. The yellow one was so fiesty, he'd swim off and try to pick a fight with the neighbour veiltail (who ignored him), then do a lap around his little bowl and come back for another round against the orange CT.

It was love at first sight, baisically.
I had to recite my mantra: You have no money, you have no money...
The employees were crowded around admiring them as well. Then they were talking about how they'd love to take the yellow one home and how nice he would look in the little vases they were selling. Those things barely had room for the guys to turn around in!

Well, that did it. I whisked him away and dug around my wallet. Proud new owner of a yellow CT!

But...

I really did have no money left over for a tank. I remember we had a small bowl at home, but it has no heater.

Second problem was that I still had to go back to school...I had a class from 4-6. Then it would take another hour to get home. I was very worried, but figured if he had survived shipping he could sruvive for a few hours. In my locker he went, though I was soo nervous in class about him.

But he did just fine! I'm so proud of him.

So the thing is, I figured maybe i can place him in the breeding trap temporarily until he gets a new home on the weekend, Monday the latest. It's a bit smaller than the bowl, but at least his water is heated. Right now I'm floating him in his baggie in the breeding trap, and he's putting on an impressive show for my girls. All of them seem very interested. Aigis, especially, is showing off her stuff against him too.

So do you guys think breeding trap would be okay? Better than the bowl, at least? the bowl itself is also quite tiny, maybe .5 gallons. I'm going to cover the top with saran-wrap so he doesn't get any ideas of escaping into the girls' tank.

And here's a pic of my lovely boy! Sorry about the quality, I took it with my webcam and it does him no justice:

Last edited by Jupiter; 09-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #2 
iheartmyfishies

It should be a fine temporary home until you can get a bigger tank. If your girls have a problem with him or vice versa I would put him in the bowl. :) Congrats on your new betta!
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #3 
doggyhog

He's beautiful!! Didn't you say your sister had a 5 gallon? :)))
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
He's beautiful!! Didn't you say your sister had a 5 gallon? :)))
Thanks!
Yep, but she's all the way in Windsor 10 hours away from me. I'm going to visit them in a few weeks for Thanksgiving, that's when I'm going to take the 5 gallon.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #5 
Elena

Beautiful! Make sure you put some holes into the saran wrap :)
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's beautiful!! Congrats!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
Beautiful! Make sure you put some holes into the saran wrap :)
Of course! :)

And thanks.