Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #1 
Thelittlemermaid

Cool who can get along with crowntails?

Hi, It's Diva the female crowntail again! Mommy is thinking about going to petco, and buying me a 5-gallon tank and possibly a tank mate. I'm very hyper, and like to pretend I'm a shark when I eat my food (especially bloodworms). I don't like decorative plants, but love open water so the big tank should be good for me. the thing is, though, that Mommy read somewhere that crowntails don't like other bettas and can be verry aggressive. is it safe to get me a tankmate? And if so, which kind? Mommy wants to get me a red female tankmate.
Thelittlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

In a 5 gallon, you can either divide with another female or get 2-3 shrimp or one nerite snail. Tanks under 10 gallons can't have much fish to go in. If you get shrimp, make sure to get some plants. Also, is your tank cycled?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #3 
Thelittlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
In a 5 gallon, you can either divide with another female or get 2-3 shrimp or one nerite snail. Tanks under 10 gallons can't have much fish to go in. If you get shrimp, make sure to get some plants. Also, is your tank cycled?
No, it's not, but I change the water, and rinse off everything in hot water pluss add water conditioner (i use tap water, so I add in one or two extra drops. it's that bettasafe stuff).Do I really need a divider for two females in the tank? (i have no idea how to take care of shrimp or snails) Also, is color a factor in behavior (like a fish getting ticked off by seeing a certain color of fish like in a bull fight)
Thelittlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, if you want females together you'll need a sorority. That means 4+ females which is too much for a 5 gallon. And colors don't matter. ^,^
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

Do you have a heater? A filter?

Shrimp need lots of plants and hiding places so if your Betta needs wide-open spaces, forget shrimp.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #6 
Shadyr

Crowntails don't really seem to be any more or less aggressive than other tail types. I had one male who was totally hyper and one who is completely chill. Of my girl CT's, a couple seem extra feisty, but then there's the one who thinks she is a neon tetra. Mostly, it's the personality of the individual fish. For the 5G, I would second the divide and add another female. Two females without the divider would have a high likelihood of fighting.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote