Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Trumphet snails in a 2 gallon good or bad idea?

My female can be a heavy pooper and I know the trumpet snails can clean the substrate. Will they make things cleaner or just become a bigger problem? In a couple of months. I am going to make a planted tank for her and move her once it's ready it will be the same size tank she is a small female and will always be in her own tank.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 
Kittiesdragons

Snails poop... a lot! I remember cleaning so much poop off of everything and I know it wasn't my betta cause after the snail died over 90% of all the little poopies went away and I cleaned my tank religiously!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

I heard that MTS multiply like crazy, but you never know it because they stay under the gravel/sand during the day. So you could potentially have 100's of MTS in that tank size in a short amount of time but you may only see a few, which means you have a TON of them hiding in the gravel and pooping, adding a huge bioload.
They can be beneficial in planted tanks, though, because they aerate the soil and prevent dangerous gas pockets. I'm sure I have tons in my 55 gallon planted tank, but I only ever see one or two of them during the day. But one time I turned on the lights after it had been completely dark for a few hours, and a whole bunch of them were climbing the glass and poking around on the sand. I'd never seen so many all at the same time.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote