Attached Images

nehemiahludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #382 
nehemiahludden

what do i do about this?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #383 
KohakuRiver

He looks constipated, but I've never had this problem and can't be sure. The first thing you should do is to start a new thread, because that is not what this thread is about. Just go to 'Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies' and click "New Thread" on the right side of the screen. The second thing you should do is to fill out as much of this as you can and post it on that thread along with the pictures.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #384 
nehemiahludden

how do i fix his constipation? what do i give him for it?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #385 
KohakuRiver

Start a different thread for this, this thread is about something different.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #386 
Blues Human

Unhappy I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll post just in case.

I just assumed that my baby died of a fungal/bacterial infection that we couldn't fight anymore. But I figure I should post what happened just in case. I don't know if it's relevant, but I'll post just in case. My little Blue (a blue veiltail) was bought at Parrots of the World in Rockville Centre, Long Island, New York. I don't know how old he was when we got him but he still had those big black baby fish eyes and was much smaller than he was when he died.
I had him for two years. When we brought him home, he was in a tiny little bowl that they sell them in. I got him a one gallon tank pretty quickly, but I still didn't know enough about betta fish to get him a heater until a few months later. I did know to change the water frequently and not use soaps or detergents and very basic things like that.
After a few months I noticed his eyes had started to protrude bilaterally. I used some basic fish meds like Betta Fix and that seemed to help. He would occasionally get little white patches, but the water-treatment antibiotics seemed to keep it at bay.
Then his fins started becoming affected. For the last year of his two year life I was constantly battling a condition that was deteriorating his fins from the edges, causing them to turn white at the edges and working its way towards his tail. Then the while infection got to his tail, but all the while he was still active and eating very well. I eventually moved on to more aggressive treatments like tetracycline, then erythromycin. The best I could do was keep the infection at bay for a while, but over time it kept getting worse.
Finally, after two years with me, my little friend stopped eating. I knew right away this was the end. No matter what had happened before, he always ate well, and begged for more. My little pal refused to eat and started hiding from me. He used to greet me whenever he saw me. I could be walking around the room and we'd both just be doing our own thing, but if I waved at him he would wiggle dance back at me. I loved him so much. It's been almost two months now and I'm still crying writing this.
The day he died, he was so pale and sick looking, I don't know if it's the kind of graying that you're talking about, but I figured I'd post it just in case. I don't know why, but for some reason I took pictures of him before I buried him. I'll include pictures of him alive that show the white infection when it had spread from his tail fins to his actual tail body plus ones of him after he died. The ones of him after his death may not be good quality because I was hysterical. I didn't even know why I was taking the pictures at the time, I just did it.
I doubt it is the same thing, but I wanted to help if I could. If I had known about this site before he passed I would have preserved him for you just in case, but I didn't and I buried him.
I'm so sorry for everyone who's lost or is losing their beloved fish friends. I hope we can find a cure for this.
PS: If anyone could tell me what happened to my Blue and what I should have done, I would really appreciate it. I never want my fish to suffer again when there's something I could have done. I've been trying to get better educated about proper betta care and learning about water quality and proper feeding and everything I possibly can for my new fish who I adopted from a Betta Rescue. I got her a couple of days ago and her abdomen is swollen, but I'll post about that in the proper area.
Attached Images

Blues Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #387 
NickZac

I know of cases in which kanamycin + doxycycline for 30 days +B6 have had some success on other fish with TB, including some air-breathers…but IIRC most instances involved getting kanamycin inside of the fish by food and I believe as injection for some larger ones. Supposedly doxy is better absorbed than earlier tetracycline’s. But the speed here of onset is unbelievably fast and from what people have described, an antibiotic that does not immediately get into the bloodstream is going to be too slow.

Has anyone who has had this happen been able to try dosing with gentamicin or gentamicin + B6? I realize kanamycin or kanamycin+neomycin or kanamycin+doxy are more common, but to my understanding, gentamicin is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream directly through the gills and at a much quicker speed than most other medications used on fish, plus it is active against resistant mycobacteria + columnare if it so happens it is that. It isn't common due to the costs and higher toxicity, but to my understanding the absorption is so fast into the blood stream that not much dosing is required. Would that have the potential to make a difference?

I have some…
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #388 
Adonis Tetra

I feel your pain

I recently adopted a beautiful blue betta. Since he was so blue like the ocean, I named him Percy Jackson. I've owned betta fish before, and my last female fish Emily had passed from what I later learned to be columnaris. Although Emily passed in the same tank I put Percy in, I only rinsed it out assuming the bacteria had died in the past 6 months of the tank laying dormant.
Within 2 days Percy showed signs of the disease. I removed him from the tank and gave him meds; however, this case of columnaris was different. Percy had dark patches of flesh that seemed to be eaten away exactly the way the photo posted shows. Within 5 days of adopting Percy he had passed.
Percy Jackson was a healthy fish, I knew that. He had gained the Bactria from the tank that had somehow mutated in six months into something that killed a strong fish in 3 days flat. My assumption is when I used the meds on Emily, some of the Bactria died off and the stronger ones did not. When left alone the strong Bactria multiplied, creating a super version of columnaris. But then again what does a 16 year old who barely passed chemistry know?
Adonis Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #389 
Blues Human

@NickZac: I wish I had had access to more antibiotics at the time, but even so I was torn between fear of over and under-medicating him. I've heard that bettas are particularly sensitive to medications and to be careful, so I toed the line until he really got sick, then I started really aggressive treatments because it seemed I had nothing to lose at that point, he was dying already so it was my only hope. Thank you for the tip though, hopefully I won't ever need the advice but if I do I am grateful to at least know a little more than I did.

@AdonisTetra: I wouldn't have thought the disease could still be in the tank either. I would assume that a water-borne illness wouldn't be able to survive in a dry environment with no host for 6 months. Could there be anything else shared between the fish? Did you still have the same food left that you used or any other supplies such as a net or gravel vacuum where moisture could remain? Plants? Decorations? I'm so sorry. It's horrible to watch and not be able to save them. My Blue was my best friend, always there for me when I needed him and always so happy to see me. It broke my heart that I couldn't help him.
Blues Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #390 
Yoteizan

Sick fish

What in the world? So fast. It has been 3 days now. He is still hanging in there. AQ salt, Pimafix. Hope he makes it Any idea what this is?
Attached Images

Yoteizan is offline   Reply With Quote