Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1 
Visionist

Came home to betta dead...advice

My betta I got exactly a week ago, went from 100% okay on the first day, to fungus, to bloating to finrot to death in those 7 days, even after treating with anti fungus medication. I am looking for advice on what to do going forward, for one, I am wondering can fungus be transferred from food to fish, as in un eaten food growing fungus, or should this not happen if the fish has a proper immune system.
Second, I don't know what to do with my tank. I don't know if what my betta had is contagious, I'm going to throw out the live plants, I only had 2 in there and I don't know what they have absorbed at this point.
There are 3 ghost shrimp in the tank, when I came home from work to my dead betta, they were eating at his fins, which I assume could not do them any good. Should I euthanize them or do the parasites etc not have the same effect on them.
What should I do with my gravel/filter? There is also a foam background that can't be removed. If I change all the water and then run salt water through the filter/tank for a few days should it kill anything that is left?

What can I do differently on my next betta?

You can see his scales started to raise, disregard the fin situation however as that was the work of my ghost shrimp.

Visionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #2 
carlos puron

Well you can check your water parameters before doing something to see if it wasn't your water for the filter change the filter pad you can change all the water and rinse your tank and decorations and let the tank cycle I hope your ghost sgrimps didn't attack him
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #3 
darkangel

I agree with carlos puron, you should probably test your water for ammonia.

How big was your tank and what kind of water changes did you do?
what temperature was the water? Your betta looks kind of bloated.

As far as I know, bacteria and fungus don't really transfer. they are already present in the water, if your fish is weak, they will cause an infection, if your fish is healthy, they can't hurt your fish. so I would start by making sure your setup is good.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 
carlos puron

Uneated food cause ammonia ab andd that's toxic for your betta so for the next one if you can cycle the tank feed him as much as he eat one or two pellets and do your water changes weekly
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Due to the scales raised, and the first few days of sickness is bloat, he seems to have suffered from dropsy. My condolences, he was very beautiful.

As Carlos said, you might want to see if there is something in the water that caused him to get dropsy, or if there isn't any natural ammonia in the water, he probably came with it.

The ghost shrimp probably aren't infected, but the bacteria from the dropsy might say something different. However, I don't think it's a zoonotic problem; in this case for the ghost shrimp. (they're pretty mean for chewing on him)

Since dropsy is a very dangerous illness, I think you would have to bleach the tank, rinse with hot water, and then let dry in the sun. You'll have to bleach it once and then rinse out a bunch of times. Next you leave to dry. It'll be good then. I suggest cycling prior getting your next fish. Cycling is going to take a month, and I think fishless is better.

As for your other things, I think bleaching them out is the best idea. This was an internal bacterial problem, not fungus. Fungus is an external dilemma.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #6 
Visionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos puron View Post
Well you can check your water parameters before doing something to see if it wasn't your water for the filter change the filter pad you can change all the water and rinse your tank and decorations and let the tank cycle I hope your ghost sgrimps didn't attack him
Water parameters were fine, he was also eating for the first 2 days or so and looked completely normal then he just stopped eating alltogether. Others suggested the bloating was from parasites, I never fed him enough for him to have eaten too much. The shrimps only went after him after he was already dead, they left him alone otherwise.
It wasn't ammonia that killed him, shrimp are MUCH more sensitive to water parameters and they are doing fine.
Moreover since I barely fed him, there wasn't enough uneaten food to do any damage either.
The tank is 8 gallons, there is a bit more wiggle room for parameters than a 1 gallon.
The temperature was 80f

Lebron, there was visible white fuzzy patches on his outside, so fungus was also a problem.
If I bleach the tank it will destroy the foam background which is secured with silicone.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post

Lebron, there was visible white fuzzy patches on his outside, so fungus was also a problem.
If I bleach the tank it will destroy the foam background which is secured with silicone.
Ah, I see. How about vinegar? Or will it also go through? (Sorry I'm not good at chemistry or what not)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #8 
darkangel

maybe he had columnaris, I remember reading about it. here is the bettafish thread I found, kind of sounds like your case??
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #9 
Visionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Ah, I see. How about vinegar? Or will it also go through? (Sorry I'm not good at chemistry or what not)
Vinegar should be fine I believe. I'm going to ditch the live plants, Rinse the tank with diluted vinegar and run saltwater through the tank, then empty it and let it dry. Anything that was in it, can't survive salt water+no water.
Dark angel, I think you may be right on the Columnaris.
The pineconing was not very bad at all and I thought dropsy was more of a longer, drawn out thing.