Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #11 
Flapmon

His fins are the way they are from him dragging himself along his gravel, he likes to sit in it and so, curled and clubbed tendrils and then black tips.

They're also beginning to 'thin' out and in some spots? Fall off or turn back to the original colour that they were. So in a way? My method is working.

Prince never fin nipped, I showed him his reflection at times which was how I came to be in this predicament in the first place. Some people suggest tri-sulfa as a treatment for fin rot, I can easily google plenty of them.

Which is why I said I'd wait a few water changes until I began the salt treatment so throwing up the question to see his environment isn't going to help him since the issue is in his tail and I already know how it got there. I'm sure I've mentioned it a few times now.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #12 
Narny105

I was typing while the suggestion for doing a salt treatment was posted, so I have not seen it till now.

The issue is on his tail, yes, but environmental factors can cause that. I've hardly ever seen my fin nipper in the action, because they can do it so quickly without you even noticing. It took me a while to figure out mine was nipping, but that was 4 years ago when I first started keeping and breeding bettas. They're a tricky fish to say the least!

I am not throwing out questions willy nilly just to spite you. I don't think you understand that. I had nothing but intentions to help you I don't study to be a vet to purposely give you incorrect advice with the intentions of judging you and not to help your fish. :)
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #13 
Narny105

What do you mean by thinning out?

After the treatment you are doing, as I understand you are going to finish it, why don't you try just clean water and no salt just to see how he goes for a week? That will also give his body a nice break from treatment, which all fish need.

Nipping is definitely a viable cause which may have lead to the original infection you have mentioned, and it's definitely not going to do any harm trying to reduce stress as much as you can and just keeping the water clean.

In relation to his bloating, how much do you feed a day? Fast him for 24 hours then feed a little bit of a blanched pea (a few pellet sized pieces-remove skin). The pea is pretty much a good laxative and will help flush him out. Hopefully that will sort out his bloating issue!

I also noticed his scales look a little pale- might just be how he normally is but that's for you to say, does his scales appear raised from top view? Just want you to check just in case.

Thanks! :)
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Flapmon,

A couple of questions for you:

1) Is there a reason you're using pH up?
2) What's the pH of your tap water?

Betas do well in slightly acidic water, so I'm wondering if there's a reason you're increasing the pH.

Also, very importantly from the perspective of treating fin rot:
At lower pH, there will be more ammonium (NH4+) in the water. This is OK. Conditioners such as Prime work by temporarily converting ammonia (harmful) to ammonium (safe). A lot of people add tannin sources, such as Indiam Almond Leaves (IAL) or oak leaves, because they acidify the water slightly.

However, at higher pH, these wastes convert to ammonia (NH3). This is not OK, as it can contribute to conditions like fin rot.

So my suggestion would be to keep the pH in the neutral to slightly acidic range.

3) What brand of food do you feed him?
4) How much do you feed him each day (or each time)?

A Betta's stomach is about the size of his eye. So it's easy to overfeed them. I count out pellets, and then feed them one at a time to my guys. It allows me to monitor exactly how much they get each time.

If he's bloated from being overfed, you can simply fast him for a day or two, and he should be fine.

Also, take a look at the ingredients in the food. Foods that contains a lot of grains or fillers can contribute to bloating and constipation. (For example: wheat, corn, soybean, gluten, etc.) If the food you're giving him contains a lot of these, consider switching to a high protein based pellet. (There are two brands that people on this forum often recommend: New Life Spectrum Betta pellets, and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. But there are other quality brands too.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 07-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote