Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #11 
Narny105

no problem.I'm not sure how easily accessible kanaplex is to be honest, I just know it's available in the US. Kanamycin is prescription only here. But whichever you can get your hands on is fine
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #12 
darkangel

I have a 2.5 gallon with a 25w elite heater and its pretty great.

In a 1 gallon, you have to change the water every 3 days, 1-3 weeks means your fish is getting ammonia poisoning. I think your fish had ammonia poisoning like mine and than developed popeye. Same thing happened to me. I didn't know at first but you should start changing them every 3 days.

I used Jungle's Fungus Clear to medicate the popeye, you can buy it at walmart for $4.

I think you should try to figure out a way to make the temperature higher, my betta use to not move around and kept getting popeye when he didn't have a heater. I eventually moved his 1.5 gallon to a really hot room but finally caved when and got him a new setup since in winter its going to cold no matter what. Bettas prefer 78f-80f, they became super active and is much healthier when they are warm.

If you have 4 bettas, maybe consider getting a this petsmart 10 gallon, its only $15 if your in the US or $18 if your in Canada! You can just divide it into 4 sections. You can also get an Elite 50w heater from Amazon for $13.

That way, all 4 fish can have more room and warm water for under 30 bucks! You can either cycle the 10 gallon or do 50% water changes every week.

Last edited by darkangel; 07-02-2013 at 01:55 PM.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote