Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 
mybabyjets

Exclamation which fish are good with a F/betta

i have a 7 (or 10 gallon) tank and i have one female veiltail betta in it and i was wonder what other tropical fish would be compatible with her..and should i get a pleco or a snail or a catfish as my cleaner fish?
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
mybabyjets

i need more rocks and other decoration but other then that its ready to go...i just dont know what other fish to put in there, and no im not leaving the whole tank to her, so please no one say that.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

So the tank is cycled and heated?

Plecos get too big, 2-3 nerite snails or 2 mystery snails are good. Pygmy cory catfish are the only ones that can fit in there with her, (4-6) but you'll need sand. 7 gallon or 10? It matters, actually..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #4 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
So the tank is cycled and heated?

Plecos get too big, 2-3 nerite snails or 2 mystery snails are good. Pygmy cory catfish are the only ones that can fit in there with her, (4-6) but you'll need sand. 7 gallon or 10? It matters, actually..
i was told its a 7gallon but its looks more like a 10gallon..and yes its heated and filtered...and why would i need sand, and what does the (4-6) mean?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

What's the kit called? Hardly anyone sells 7G anymore. But, is it cycled? You know, no more ammonia & nitrite in the water? Process of making a colony of good bacteria? Filtered and cycled don't mean the same thing. And the 4-6 meant the number of cory catfish, but I'm not sure if they'll fit in the 10G.

You'll need sand for the catfish because gravel can hurt their barbels. Unless you have finer gravel.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 
mybabyjets

i dont know the name of the kit, i got it from my uncle who got it like 15 yrs ago..and yes its cycled...and i cant get sand, and i dont want to have the bother of cleaning it
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #7 
mybabyjets

Question

Quote:
What's the kit called? Hardly anyone sells 7G anymore. But, is it cycled? You know, no more ammonia & nitrite in the water? Process of making a colony of good bacteria? Filtered and cycled don't mean the same thing. And the 4-6 meant the number of cory catfish, but I'm not sure if they'll fit in the 10G.

You'll need sand for the catfish because gravel can hurt their barbels. Unless you have finer gravel.

i dont know the name of the kit, i got it from my uncle who got it like 15 yrs ago..and yes its cycled...and i cant get sand, and i dont want to have the bother of cleaning it..and i can only get one cleaner type of fish, because i want to get 3-4 other fish, what fish would she be good with?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, then no sand... Your best option is 1 nerite or mystery snail. You could add female guppies or platies with her. Only 2 maximum though, 3 and then it's going to go through a mini-cycle. Any "cleaner" fish would need groups of 4 or more, sorry; snails or shrimp are best.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #9 
crowntaillove3

Would you want to get two platies? Most of them are great with bettas, but they aren't cleaner fish. They poop like crazy, actually. The minimum is 10 gallons, but I think you will be okay as long as you keep up with the water changes.

LOL I posted at the same time as LTB.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #10 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Okay, then no sand... Your best option is 1 nerite or mystery snail. You could add female guppies or platies with her. Only 2 maximum though, 3 and then it's going to go through a mini-cycle. Any "cleaner" fish would need groups of 4 or more, sorry; snails or shrimp are best.
why would i need 4 or more? i have 1 pleco in my 20gallon and hes just fine...and i think ill do the snail thing...why only 2, whats bad about a mini cycle? and any other fish besides guppys/platies ??