Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #11 
NeptunesMom

I'll try to get one Tuesday either way. It's kinda neat, because I've never seen an eye like this before. I've seen clouded over sick eyes, but never a light eye with a dark center and a light ring around the outside of the eye.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could be the start of Pop-eye though, but again, might just be coloration as well. I'd definitely have to see a picture to really sort it out
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #13 
NeptunesMom

I've been doing research on early stages of pop-eye, and I'm pretty sure that's it now. I've never dealt with pop-eye before, and have only seen pictures of it once the swelling starts. I'm going to get dog food today, I'll see if he's there and how it's looking.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

For Pop-eye it's actually pretty simple. You can just use Epsom salt, 1 tsp per gallon to start with daily water changes. Epsom reduces swelling as well and thus will get rid of any irritation of pop-eye and the water changes will take out any bacterial infections he's got.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #15 
NeptunesMom

Name:  Odin's eye.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  29.9 KB
Name:  Odins eye 2 .jpg
Views: 23
Size:  27.4 KB

Here is Odin. I brought him home because his eyes looked worse, and far more like pop-eye. I'm pretty sure it's pop-eye. I've bought a tank that's about .5 g to make it easier to treat him. I threw out my other 2.5 g because it was my cursed tank (everything that went in it died). I'll move him to something bigger once I figure out if he'll get vision back in his eye. This eye is actually cloudier than it appears in this picture. He doesn't appear to be able to see out of it, but he can see out of the other I think.

ETA: I've started the ES dissolving in his new tank. I'll start acclimating him later tonight.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! I'm glad you were able to get him and nurse him back I hope he does well with the ES, ES is nice and easy on their system as well so it shouldn't be too bad on him ^_^

Keep us updated on his condition, I'd sure love to watch him heal up
Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

Question: I've never dealt with pop-eye. Fin rot, I've got it. SBD, bring it on. Pop-eye, not a clue. Does light hurt his eye? I like to open up my curtains and let a lot of sunlight into my room during the summer. My room faces the south, and there are several trees that help to block direct sunlight from coming into my room. The bettas seem to enjoy looking out the window, and watching the world outside. But, today, I didn't open the curtains because I wasn't sure if the light would hurt Odin's eyes. My other fish seem to be grumpy about that. Do you think it would be okay to open the curtain? Also, I've never treated in such a small tank. In fact, I've never owned such a small tank. Should water changes be 100% once a day? That's what I tell people at the pet store for a .5 g, but I don't know if it's true (it's mostly to scare them into getting the 2.5 g, and it always works).
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol good trick about the 100% every day XD but no, you can do it every other or every 3 and he'll be fine. Treating with ES is the same all around, dissolve up 1 tsp per gallon of ES. So since it's a .5 then use .5 teaspoon. The first go around, dissolve it in a small cup and add slowly to his tank over the course of 30-45 minutes of course longer is better

Then the day after next, scoop him out, get water, condition, add salt and acclimate him to the water, gently let him in. I figure you knew this already but just wanted to make sure. if you need me to elaborate on anything just let me know!!

And as for the light, that shouldn't bother him at all. If he was getting direct sunlight then I wouldn't recommend it, darkness has a calming effect so it might help him to have some more darkness than your others. You can always put some paper in front of the tank so he doesn't get as much light But no, he should be perfectly fine. Pop-eye is not photosensitive like Velvet is which actually uses light to reproduce. Pop-eye is a bacterial infection which causes the swelling.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #19 
NeptunesMom

Thanks. Yeah, I know how to use ES, but I think it's important to reiterate it on threads because someone reading this might not know. I learned more from reading others threads than really posting my own.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup that's how I learned too, so want me to write it out fully again then?