Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Male is Barely Tending to his Nest

Sorry for all of these posts x]
My breeding pair spawned this morning it seemed pretty short and only lasted a couple of hours. I looked in the nest and saw just a few eggs and the male looking very chubby. I've read that he would eat unfertilized eggs and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of unfertilized eggs since it's the pair's first time.
So now Castiel's looking very fat and a little lethargic. The bubble nest is sort of falling apart. He lies underneath the nest and comes up to take a breath and occasionally blow bubbles. Is it normal for the male to be resting so much? He's very bloated an not moving around much either.
Should I do artificial hatching?

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 07-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 
Myates

It's a long, hard process to breed for them.. just leave him be, see what happens. This way you know what to do the next go around. He may surprise you :) If by tomorrow the nest is fully broken up and he's swimming elsewhere then you know there are no eggs.. but if there are eggs he will take care of them in the section of the nest they are in.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Oh wow. Massive facepalm x( I freaked out when I saw the male lying on his side at the bottom. He was so bloated he couldn't swim properly. I feel really bad now, cause I took out the eggs and am attempted to artificially hatch them -.-
When I went back to check on the male in his tank, he was back to his normal self and doing his wiggle dance at me. Man, I feel really dumb. The eggs are now in shallow floating containers in the main tank with plastic wrap over it.
Hopefully they'll hatch.
Congratulations on your spawn! :)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #4 
Myates

And they will rest from time to time, remember - they will eat the eggs that aren't viable, and leave the rest alone.. good luck on artificially hatching them, if you have any anti fungus medication I would put a drop in there with the eggs, as without the male sometimes they grow fungus and kill the babies.. :(

But yeah, your first time it's easy to freak out :( I woke up to my boy swimming around, will have to check for eggs later.. the pairing had some issues wrapping, the female unsure of herself - I know there were eggs yesterday, but whether they were viable or not I won't know until I check again. >.>

Good luck on yours hatching tomorrow :)
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thank you!
Was it her first time too? Would love to see some pictures:)
I saw some tiny tails thrashing around in the egg this morning. Gonna make a spawn log when/if they hatch.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 
Myates

Awesome, tails are a good sign :) And it was the female's first time.. the male's second time.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Thank you!
Was it her first time too? Would love to see some pictures:)
I saw some tiny tails thrashing around in the egg this morning. Gonna make a spawn log when/if they hatch.
Awesome! I can't wait for your spawn log. Good luck!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thanks! So excited :)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #9 
DoctorWhoLuver

I don't know if it's my conditioning methods or what, but my male is exhausted. He's been trying hard to keep track of all the fry and eggs, but now he's all clamped up at the bottom of the tank barely moving and takes a lot of breaks, each lasting more than ten minutes. I fed him a bit of bloodworms last night, because he seemed so tired. He hasn't eaten any of the fry and is trying really hard to take care of them, but doesn't seem to have the energy. I conditioned him with frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and live mosquito larvae. Could it be ammonia poisoning? The ammonia is around .5ppm. A lot of fry and eggs are on the ground now, but most of them have hatched. Should I try feeding him or take him out? Or just leave him in there? I'm just afraid he might work himself to death x]
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #10 
Myates

Breeding can take a lot out of them, especially the male. It depends on how long he was in there wooing the female that will determine when he putters out (for the most part).

Your ammonia is way too high and needs to go down for your fry to survive.. if they are hatching go ahead and remove the male, and start a real slow drip into the tank to add new water in. I would say 1 drop per 2-3 seconds, or a tiny bit slower if you can. You don't want to shock them, but you can't do a full on water change with fry.

Live plants will help...

Now, your readings will also depend on the type of conditioner you are using. If you are using Prime, then that reading *may* be ammonium, which is converted from ammonia by the conditioner - ammonium is safe, but it reads as ammonia. No way to really know which it is right now, why I say go ahead and start the drip for the fish now..

The fry are what now? 9 days old? Go ahead and remove the dad and get him situated and definitely start the drip system and get it going. At 9 days you can also start siphoning the bottom of the tank of all the dead/rotting food.. some people say to wait 2 weeks, but I have always started it within the first week with no issues.