Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 
BettaPrincess13

Exclamation Something on my Water Wisteria?

I just put new plants in my tank about a month ago. lately i've been scooping out this white film and one just floated up and got stuck on the filter intake. and when I looked at the water wisteria I saw a whole thick sheet of this white film was on it! anyone know what it is? is it harmful to my plants or fish? and how to get rid of it and prevent it? its not growing on any other plant but my wisteria...
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd have to see it but it kind of sounds like your fishes slime coat shedding or a very common mold that comes about on driftwood and then is replace by regular bio-film which is all safe for fish either way.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #3 
Catw0man

Do you use Prime or BettaBasics by Seachem? I've had weird white slimy stuff appear from using those (either a bad batch or I used way too much....). There's generally also an oily layer on the water's surface.

Don't know if that's it, but worth a mention.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #4 
mybabyjets

i have to go with what lilnaugrim said..i have seen that before in my tanks with no live plants and i dont use "Prime or BettaBasics" or anothing for that matter besides water conditioner
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Either way, all of what we've mentioned is safe for your fish water changes will take it out if you use a siphon that will help for sure
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #6 
BettaPrincess13

Thanks everyone!! (: right now I'm using API stresscoat+ which has been helping Carls fin growth from all the tears and rips he had when he was sick a few weeks ago. I do have Prime by Seachem but I have yet to use it. I would get a picture of it but Carl is sleeping and I don't want to turn the tank light on and wake him up lol I was reading about similar occasions with this white film others have had and they've said it was bacterial bloom that tends to happen during the first months of cycling? I'm doing my weekly water change tomorrow so ill go around the wisteria a bit to get rid of some so it doesn't grow so much in my tank. good to know its not a bad bacteria. I can try to get a picture tomorrow morning during my water change with better lighting in the daytime hours
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

A bacteria bloom would actually just look like a while cloud in the water (still harmless) and not like strips or strings of white. But yes a picture would certainly help Glad Carl is still doing well!