Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #1 
Indefinitive

Going blind?

Hey, folks! Its been awhile since I've been here. I moved in June and STILL don't have internet in my apartment.

Since then, I've been through hell. We got a two ottos, and four neon tetras for Gregory's tank, and I set up Fiyero's old tank, and got a sorority of five females. While they were in quarantine, each one of them started showing signs of ich, so I started treating with Nox-Ich. During that same week, one of the tetras started showing signs of ich, but ended up dying two days after I began treating him. About six days after I began treating the females, one died. It was then that I noticed some fuzzy white stuff at the bottom, and started them on an anti-fungal medication. Meanwhile, some were getting better from the ich, but the fungus was getting worse, or the other way around. And THEN I noticed that one of the ottos had a large, paled spot around his eye, so I put him in quarantine. He died the next morning. After that, I started inspecting the tetras, only to find ich on all of them, most likely from the first tetra who died not even a week before. So I began treating them as well. They died the next morning. The same day that the tetras died, two females died. The last two females died yesterday.

I was treating for ich with Nox-Ich (which I do NOT recommend, since not a single one of my fish has survived a full treatment) and fungus with Melafix at first, until I realized it wasn't working. Then I switched to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Triple Sulfa Powder (until I ran out) and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Fungus Cure Powder.

The problems started four days after I got the females. I got the females on September 4. So, needless to say, I've become extremely scared of losing Gregory, and my last otto. I've lost ten fish in twelve days, so I've been an emotional wreck and am freaking out over every problem I see.

Gregory doesn't seem to be able to see. He's been really lazy and hangs out on the bottom since I got him, so I didn't see a problem until I looked really closely. When he swims, he bumps into things and seems surprised when he does. When I compare his size to other bettas, his fins are HUGE (we're talking his anal fin is about twice the size of his body, his tail is about a body and a half, and his dorsal fin is about the size of his body, and his pelvic fins are the length of his body from mouth to tail), so I'm wondering if he's just older than most. Do they ever sell bettas that are a lot older than the others? If he is just old, should I be worried, or is he just getting old and blind like humans do? If there is need to worry, what do I treat with?
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about the loss of all your fish! Judging from the length of Gregory's fins, he probably is old. Is he eating ok? If he's in a large tank, he might feel more secure in a smaller one since he can't see. Poor little guy!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #3 
Indefinitive

Since the otto and the tetras died, I moved him into a one gallon tank as a quarantine with some bamboo crossed near the top where he can rest. Its not big enough for anything other than that, but he seems to be doing alright.

As for his eating habits, he would always go after the tetras' flakes and would occasionally eat some pellets. I'm not sure if he can see them, or if he just preferred the flakes for some odd reason. He still gobbles up blood worms like there is no tomorrow, though.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

He sounds like he's doing ok except for not being able to see. Is he showing any sign of ick or fungus?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #5 
Indefinitive

None at all, thank god. I think I've gotten rid of all of the sickness at last. Too bad it had to devastate both tanks before I got it all.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like Gregory is going to be fine. Just keep an eye on him. Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of all your fish.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #7 
Indefinitive

I'm just relieved to know that he's just old. A little curious as to why they'd be selling him if he were older, but its good to know. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll try another sorority bought from a different store. The sickness originated from fish bought at that store in the last month.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Petstores don't always sell them young. None of my females have ever gotten breeding stripes or became filled with eggs. I think its because they are too old to breed. That's fine, I have no intention of breeding anyway.