Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #11 
Fenghuang

Thank you very much, Vickytoria.

Opinions on a potential pairing?

I have a young male PK. He was skinny and sick when I got him. He made a surprising turn around and coloured up nicely though. Initially, he appeared to have cloudy eyes and vision problems, but that is all gone.

This picture was taken when he was still sick, but recovering (I need to take updated pictures). He has even black edging on all his fins now. I know he is not extremely striking for a PK. He does not even have a 180 degree spread. But the girl has too many rays as it is, so maybe they would balance out?

Pros: Clean white body, smooth topline, dragon

Cons: Fins really lacking... Would probably need to outcross spawn to a very nice HMDT.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gorgeous fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #13 
Coppermoon

Actually he is a very nice traditional pk :D. On a traditional pk, that "spoon head" is actually accepted...not in HUGE look, but a slight bull dog look is ok :D

I think it would be a great cross with your female. Then choose the best male and female out of the spawn and breed those.

Good luck :D

Lori
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The female is showing feather type of rays - be careful

The above male should work - safe. Then breed siblings or you could go 2 routes - traditional and asymmetrical. Breed back to female for the later.

Or use a 4 ray male; yellow, orange, or white dragon.

Good Luck
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #15 
Lynzee

I know nothing about breeding/genetics, but he really is a beautiful fish! I absolutely love his color. =]
Lynzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #16 
Fenghuang

Thank you, Coppermoon, Indjo. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

The female is 4 months old. I don't know the exact age of the male, but my rough estimate is around 3-4 months and the female dwarfs him anyway. If I have a chance in the upcoming months, I might try this pairing.

Here he is today to show his true colours. White body, black fins. Sorry, I am having a hard time getting a still flaring shot.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #17 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
The female is showing feather type of rays - be careful

The above male should work - safe. Then breed siblings or you could go 2 routes - traditional and asymmetrical. Breed back to female for the later.

Or use a 4 ray male; yellow, orange, or white dragon.

Good Luck
I'd say more rose tail then feather tail...but glad you pointed that out...totally missed it!!!

I also agree with the 2 routes...he is a traditional PK, and she is more of a show plakat (HMPK). What you will look for in either line is the anal point that he has (both male and female need to have it). For a male, the point actually needs to extend down more then his does. Both anals should slope from the front to the back (to the point). Her's doesn't as much as it should. I'll have to look back at the show standards to see if the three short spines on the anal are a fault (I'm apprenticing to be a judge so I need to do this anyway..lol). The only main difference between the two will be the caudal (tail) fin. Show PK is a HMPK tail and the traditional is more of a rounded tail. THEN you get into the Short Finned HM...that is a HM with a HMPK looking tail but the anal is straight from ventrals to caudal with no slope. The ventrals are not as long as the PK (which should be 2/3 the body length I think...again I need to look at my standards).

Looking forward to seeing fry!!!

Lori
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The female dwarf's him? As in, she's much bigger? In which case, he may have some trouble wrapping her.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He'll grow. But yes, breeding a pair with a larger female is not usually suggested.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This may sound cruel, but this is a strategy used by many breeders, including myself;
If the female is older/ bigger, keep her in a smaller container. I often use 1-2ltr bottles. Deliberately stunt her growth. But the male must go in a big tank so he can grow faster. Feed the male excessively (I use frozen bloodworms). You can also use this method anytime you plan to breed back to mom.

Make sure the male has clean white body, not silverish-grey. Black dragons usually have silverish-grey body. Bred to clean white body may produce silver body with what ever light colored fins or may have "dirty" looking body.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote