Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1 
colouratura

Areas of Fins are Thinning?

My betta, Cwtch, has been healing from some shredded fins and that was going well (removed supposedly betta safe plastic plant that was the culprit and moving to silk and real plants).

I check him closely a few times every day to make sure his fins are not getting worse. He was starting to show some new growth transparent/whitish skin on the edges so all seemed well.

Last night I noticed in areas on his fins(all except ventral and pectorals)where there is no shredding that there are spots where it's like his skin is becoming thin and you can see light through them. I don't mean tears now but if the fins were thinner, it looks like he'd have small holes starting.
The edges of the fins that were healing look ragged now and new growth has stopped.

His body looks normal. I can't find anything wrong with him there. He's his normal bright blue colour other than showing a bit more of his turquoise colour that usual.

I have a pic of him from last Wednesday and one from today. I only have my phone camera today. The thin areas don't really show up well in today's pic but you can see the ragged edges. They are not black or discoloured.

Here is the form to help out.

Hospital tank

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. Tetra Whisper 10i
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes. New adjustable heater last week as old heater only stayed at 77F
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 Swift Rasboras

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Flakes(it's what he prefers)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Around 4 big flakes in morning and 4 in evening. One day a week of fasting.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week .
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 35% each week but on Sunday did 55%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat+ (double dose as per instructions for treating fins)

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.7
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?
I normally test water every second day with API Freshwater test kit(not strips)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins thinning in centre areas, almost to the point of tears. Edges that were healing from tears seem more ragged.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's acting normal and eating normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night. July 1.
Have you started treating your fish? Was in the process of treating tears with double dose API Stress Coat. Added aquarium salt last night when I freaked out as per directions on box for 10gal tank. (1tbp per 5 gal)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Tail shredded from stupid plant from a stupid new owner(me).
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him 7 weeks. I'm guessing he's under a year old.

I don't have a hospital tank. I'll get one if I need to remove him from his little rasbora tank mates(they are all looking and behaving normal).

The only med I have on hand is a bottle of Nox-Ich (it's .050% Sodium Chloride and 0.50% malachite green). It was just something that was bought at the same time as my tank but never used.

Any help is much appreciated.
colouratura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What kind of rasboras are they?

I actually see that the second picture his tail is being bitten. See the U shaped cut out's? That's not how his fin is growing back, that's biting and I suspect the rasboras even if you think they may be peaceful. But it depends on what type of rasboras they are so I'll let you answer that before.

Also, AQ salt is going to kill your live plants so either take the plants out while you treat or get rid of the salt Also make sure you dissolve the salt before put it in, when salt dissolves it actually gives off heat which can burn fish.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 
colouratura

Interesting to hear what you said.... In the last 30min Cwtch has been aggressive with them when normally he ignores them all the time. If they are indeed nipping at him, that would make sense that he's suddenly intolerant. Perhaps I shall be getting a new tank tomorrow.

If that's happening then could stress from the nippy buggers cause the thin look of the center areas of his fins?

These rasboras are small "Swifts" aka rasbora espei.

I did dissolve the aquarium salt before putting in. Many thanks for the warning though. :)
And his java moss is safely away. He's left with his silk plants.

I really appreciate the advice.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah if the nipping is bothering him so much he could lose color, making it look a little more transparent for sure

You can either rehome the rasboras i.e. donate them or yes, you can get a new tank for either ones. Obviously up to you but I would certainly give Cwtch a new tank or visa versa for the rasboras.

I'm glad though that you are taking things into consideration ^_^ Hopefully without the added nips he can start healing faster too! Good, clean, warm water will be a great start and then the Stress Coat on top is even better Oh and if there are no signs of fin rot then you don't need to use AQ salt. The salt should not be used for more than 14 days and really only when you have a problem on your Betta that is external (fin rot, velvet, ich, etc.) it really shouldn't be used as a preventative or anything. Doing more water changes will take care of that.

If you get him a smaller tank like a 5 gallon, that would be great and then you can bump up the rasboras numbers to 6 or so and make them happier since they are shoaling fish. But while he's healing I suggest doing twice weekly changes at least at 25-50% or more if you can, three would be fine to do. But twice for sure if you can do it, that guarantee's him clean water and wards off any fin rot if it thinks about attaching to your Betta's fins
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
colouratura

Thanks so much Lilnaugrim! You rock! I love my little guy and want to do what's best for him, as well as my apparently snarky rasboras. I'm much more attached to Cwtch but I'll get a new tank to keep everyone.

I'll feel guilty downgrading him to a 5 gallon but if it keeps him from being hurt then I'll be happy.

And I'll certainly do at least double weekly water changes while he's healing. Not a problem. :)

And I'll drop the aquarium salt. He'll be glad you said that so he can have his plants back.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I mean, you can totally get him a 10 gallon all for himself! No problems there he'll love to have lots of hiding spaces in plants and whatnot too! My Betta's would kill for a 10 gallon all to themselves haha but they each have no less than 3 gallons each and they are all very content in their spaces

Glad to help!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #7 
colouratura

Thanks once again. I guess compared to what they originally had in the stores, 3 or 5 gallons must seem like a dream to them.

Our stores are all closed at this hour and I don't have a hospital tank, only his original cup he came in.

Would you recommend leaving everyone as they are until I can get to a store tomorrow afternoon? Or should I be moving either him or the four nippy brats now? I don't think I have anything bigger in the house than the betta cup that hasn't been washed with soap before (ie clear rubbermaid container.). I even had a spare heater. (mad at myself)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The Betta cup is fine! That's actually how I QT my girls, I let them float in the tank in their cups so that no one can touch them. They usually stay like this for at least 2 weeks, some I've had up to a month in QT. You can just change his water every day or every other day. In which case since he's not really disease, you can let him back out into the tank, shake out any poop or whatever into the tank and scoop him back up again. You should feed him once he's in his cup again so that he think's cup is good and doesn't get scared of it. And then of course take the poop out with water changes ^_^

You can totally keep the rasboras in the tank, but just remove him or keep him in his cup until you can get something else for him. You can always get those big Critter Carriers for a tank, usually the XL is about 3-5 gallons depending on the brand you can also look on craigslist if your in the US or ebay or something, ask around to friends/family to see if they have tanks laying around. I got a 30 gallon from my uncle/aunt!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #9 
colouratura

Cwtch easily went into a container (I rummaged around and found one large never used container in the house that fits almost the width of the tank so it won't tip)but once he realized after a few minutes that he wasn't coming out any time soon he became a very angry, agitated boy. He was striking at the bottom and wouldn't stop, even when I left things dark to try and calm him. He can't seem to wrap his head around why he can't get at the things he sees through the cup. I felt so guilty watching him thrash at the container.

I didn't want him to be stressed any further since his system is already weakened from the bites so I caught the rasboras and put Cwtch back into his tank. He settled down instantly and was back to himself.

The plastic container is now floating in the tank with its inhabitants, the 4 rasboras and some plants to hide in. I gave them a bit of food and they went for it right away and seem to be calm with each other to keep close too.

So everyone should be safe until I can get a new tank tomorrow and start getting that running. I'm not sure I have something I can fit a 5 gallon on. May have to go to a 3.5 for now for Cwtch but there will be room for his favorite things in it. :)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That sounds like a good plan to me

I'm sure everyone will be happy in the end!

Tags
thin fins