Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #21 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
This may sound cruel, but this is a strategy used by many breeders, including myself;
If the female is older/ bigger, keep her in a smaller container. I often use 1-2ltr bottles. Deliberately stunt her growth. But the male must go in a big tank so he can grow faster. Feed the male excessively (I use frozen bloodworms). You can also use this method anytime you plan to breed back to mom.

Make sure the male has clean white body, not silverish-grey. Black dragons usually have silverish-grey body. Bred to clean white body may produce silver body with what ever light colored fins or may have "dirty" looking body.
I do this too...females in a small container (unless they are runts...then they go into a large container...lol), males should go into at least a 1g. Water needs to be kept around 83*-86*F to also help with growth. High Protein foods (IMO bw tend to pollute the water too fast...BUT I will feed them the morning of a water change!!!). I prefer live foods that I gut load with other foods.

She is a PK, so he MUST be her size before you attempt to spawn them. With her being bigger, she will be to aggressive for him. I'd also get her bored with other fish...keep him where he can't see fish. She will be less likely to be aggressive if she is bored looking at her "friends".
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #22 
Fenghuang

Hadn't been able to compare them side by side yet, but I believe so. She has just been introduced to the sorority tank and is the same size as our 1.5 year old female. The male spent over a month of his life in a plastic cup and was starved because he couldn't eat, so I'm not sure if he is stunted or not. He has a very long body though. Maybe he just needs to put on some weight.

Is this clean white?

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #23 
Coppermoon

He is a really cute guy!!! Feed him 4x a day...up his temp as suggested...50% water change daily. I'd say in about a month he might be big enough to spawn with her.

Can't wait to see babies!!!
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #24 
Fenghuang

Will do. :) I can harvest mosquito larvae too. I have a pond full of them the last I checked and it has been raining heavily the last few days.

The female is extremely aggressive. Already took the place of the dominant 1.5 year old female in the sorority. She chases everyone around, but hadn't hurt any of the other females yet.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #25 
Fenghuang

Most recent picture if the male. He tore a ventral though.