Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

29 gallon sorority how many shrimp- can I add any corys?

I expect to have 15- 18 females in a heavily planted tank. I changed to a 29 gallon to add more room rather than a 20 long. I want to get Amano shrimp. I will have trumpet snails in the substrate. Can I stock any bottom feeders like cories or anything else or would you suggest I quit with some shrimp and the females.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can totally do both! Cory's are great with females since they really don't share the same level of the tank most of the time (except for my one female whom I've nicknamed Queen of the Depth and she shoals with the cories time to time lol) and with the shrimp, shrimp go all over so it's really not going to bother the cories either. And Amano's are big enough that the girls usually won't try to pick a fight although you may come across a few dead time to time.

I suggest cories over shrimp though just because they poop less and they get along fantastically with my girls! With all Betta's actually, I had a male in there once (before the girls) that totally didn't care about the cories
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

How many corries do I need for them to be happy? I was thinking three but that might not be enough. The last fish I was considering was a Siamese algae eater since they are supposed to be very effective and not get too big. That is if I can find one.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

SAE's are good and fine but of course they eat algae, bio-film and stuff of that nature. Cory's don't eat much algae, they'll nibble on some but they aren't algae eaters. They are scavenger's much like Ghost Shrimp and for a happy shoal of cory's it depends on which ones. I know for my Dainty cory's (Corydoras Habrosus and for Corydoras Hastasus) you should have about 9-10 of them. For the bigger ones, Julii's will like 6+ and most other cory's will be the same. You can keep a trio, but more is definitely welcome in their group!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote