Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 
Parth135

Exclamation Parthanaux jumped from his Bowl

After I finished changing her water I left to get grocery's, when i saw she wasn't in her bowl I freaked and scolded my dog for eating her but within further investigation I realized she jumped behind my dresser. I'm aware they can live out of water for days at times and this was a few hours but now she only responds when I wave my finger or tap gently on her bowl. Please someone what should I do Things aren't looking good. My main concern was the dog hair she tangled up in again please any advice?
Parth135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 
Parth135

Housing
What size is your tank? Quart
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter?no,soon
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no, not yet.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?hbh HBH betta bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Set it in the sun For min 12 h

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity: x

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Blackness from face to fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? before he stopped moving completly he sputterd and bumped against tank a lot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? soon as I got him back in water
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Twee-zed out hair from mouth
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)?2-3 months
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #3 
darkangel

You can try adding a little extra water conditioner but yeah it sounds like quite the jump, not sure you if there is much you can do.

Aside from that, if you aren't aware yet: A quart bowl is way too small for a betta or any fish, you would need to change it like 3 times a day. He might have jumped out because the water quality was really poor.

The smallest tank for a betta is 1 gallon that needs to be changed every 3 days to keep the water clean. If the water is colder than 76f in the winter, you should also get a heater.

I recommend you get a 2.5 gallon and a 25w heater for any fish in the future.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 
Parth135

Unhappy Good advice

The sad part is I went to the store to pick up those things for her, I got her a month a go from Upstate Aquatics In New York I asked them if they had bigger Tank and all they had was a very small one. They also said she would be fine as long as I had Conditioner which I had already. Thanks for the advice I feel so horrible, she was extremely good to me and I hope she finds peace somewhere.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

They can't live out of the water for days. At least not in a house. Perhaps in the wild it is humid and they are able to flop about to keep themselves wet, but a fish in a house will dry out and die in a much shorter timeframe.

A little fish trivia - snakeheads can live out of the water for 4 days, and traverse a quarter of a mile over dry land moving between bodies of water.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #6 
sainthogan

My girl did that in September out of a half inch hole in her lid, and was out of her tank for at least a half an hour. It took her several days to perk back up. She was very lethargic for the first day and kind of "eh" for the other days. Then one day, she was back to her super energetic self. She shed a lot of her slime coat during the weeks to follow and her fins and tail were badly torn up from drying up and sticking to the floor. After a few months, her tail and fins were back to normal.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #7 
Narny105

I agree with dark angel and her suggestions on the tank. It's just too small for them :)

Sorry to hear that. It's happened to me, and it's such a fright! Since then I've always just dropped the water level low enough as a precaution
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

All you can really do is keep her in a dark place and maybe add stress coat or krodon fish protector and see how she is in the morning.

They cant live out of water for long, but they can survive longer then most other fish as they breathe air. They need to stay moist though, once they dry up - they die.

Other things to note:

Is the bowl only a quart or is that the hospital tank size? As already mentioned, a quart is pretty small and ammonia will build up pretty fast. If he survives, you should reward him with at least a 1 gallon tank. Contrary to what most will say, bigger is actually better AND easier to maintain in the long run.

This 1 gallon isn't too bad. I use it as a Quarentine tank (I like my bettas to have 3-5 gallons each but I also understand not everyone can do that).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/14668340?w...599990&veh=sem

Another option - is to use a sterelite storage bin. Not the most attractive thing in the world but more space for your dollar and they come in a much larger variety of shapes/sizes. I have one on the kitchen counter with one male and 2 snails, much to my mother's dismay . They can slso be heated as the heater wont melt the plastic
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #9 
sainthogan

Lids are good too, but as I mentioned in my last post, my girl jumped out of a 1/2 inch hole in her lid, so cover up any holes on your lid loosely with cardboard or something so air can still get in.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

You can use craft mesh as a lid too. I do that for my 20G as the glass top has a 2 onch gap at the back to allow for filters and such.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote