Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #11 
Jupiter

I don't like it when people say they 'grow with the tank', I think it's terrible advice. It's true that you won't find your fish one day bursting against the seams of your tank, but all you're really doing is stunting his growth keeping him in a smaller tank. That leads to unhealthy, unhappy fish.

So unless you can provide a big tank for him later on to grow into a nice big adult, I wouldn't reccomend getting one. There are smaller algae eaters you can consider, if that's your concern.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #12 
Maryrox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I don't like it when people say they 'grow with the tank', I think it's terrible advice. It's true that you won't find your fish one day bursting against the seams of your tank, but all you're really doing is stunting his growth keeping him in a smaller tank. That leads to unhealthy, unhappy fish.

So unless you can provide a big tank for him later on to grow into a nice big adult, I wouldn't reccomend getting one. There are smaller algae eaters you can consider, if that's your concern.
thank you so much for the advice! I guess i will give the pleco to the fish store too. :)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #13 
Jupiter

No problem!

If you want something to eat algae, consider getting a some Ottos. They're much smaller, though I don't know much about them. Just that the water conditions need to be really good and you need to keep them in groups.

Edit: Forgot to add that there are also some algae eating shrimp, one of them being called Amano shrimp. But the only kind they sell here are ghost shrimp and they clean the bottoms, but don't eat algae.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #14 
Maryrox247

Okay heres the new new set up for my sorority ( I know your thinking ' jeez enough with the STINKIN' new setups! *rolls eyes* me: sigh im such a betta freak...) Anyway im just excited! So im going to have 7 females MAX i shrimp and POSSIBLY but maybe not my cory ( probably not though) and no neons. How does that sound? good?

Last edited by Maryrox247; 09-21-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

7 females and 1 shrimp?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #16 
Maryrox247

pretty much. if theres anything i should change just let me know. I want my females to be healthy so any advice on their care tips and a list of what i need would be great! thanx pplz!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could put several shrimp in there. One shrimp might get lonely for his own kind. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #18 
Maryrox247

thanks! I dont know if my pet store has any more though. Anyonme have a list of things i need or tips on caring for a sorority? ( i cant get another tank though ( My parents dont even like have two so much. meh.)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #19 
ElmoFish

If you can't get another tank, make sure the store you buy your females at is willing to take some back if they don't get along.. some girls don't do well in a sorority setting, and you may end up with an over aggressive fish that needs to be rehomed. Just something to consider.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #20 
Jupiter

Yeah, what ElmoFish said. I know Petsmart accepts returns on fish 14 days after you buy them.

Edit: Another though I just had...if you really like a female but she's too aggressive, you could always split your tank. Maybe give your one girl like 3 gallons so your other females still have 14 gallons to themselves.