Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 
Jeane09

Sick Betta, please help!

My Betta has a white lump under his gill. I thought it was fungus and first treated him by adding 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt to the water. I also broke off a small piece of Tetra Fungus Guard tablet (the tablet treats 10 gal so I broke it in half, then broke off a sixth of that) and dissolved in when changed the water. There is no improvement. He's had the lump for 2 weeks now. Otherwise seems fine- is eating, swimming around like normal, no clamped fins. Is this fungus or something else? what can I do to make him better?

I'm still new to keeping bettas. Have had this fish for a few months. He lives alone in a 1.5 gallon bowl with 1 small live plant. I feed him Omega-One betta flakes, 1 large or 2 small flakes 2x a day. Once or twice a week give him a freeze-dried bloodworm instead of flakes. I do 100% water change once a week, add API Betta Water Conditioner and a few drops of liquid aquarium plant food at the time.

I know he should be in a larger tank with a filter, but right now all I have is the bowl. What else can I do for him? I've tried to take a few pictures here of his lump. Thanks for any advice!
Attached Images

Jeane09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Don't listen when people say you need a minimum of 5 gallons/filter/heater/blah, blah, blah!!

If you can care for a smaller tank without a filter just fine and your Betta is happy, that's all that matter's! And well, yes, you do need a heater lol but filters are optional with them and smaller tanks. And for a 1.5 you should be doing at least twice weekly 100% changes, it will make the tank healthier. So if you do that, he can stay in the 1.5 just fine, unless you don't like it

Okay, so what it looks like to me is lymphocystis, here's a nice little link about it: http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases/lymphocystis.php and this one: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/dise...mphocystis.php

But anyway there is no cure for this, it is viral so it can infect other fish but looks like you don't have other's which is good. Best thing to do for him is to keep him as healthy as possible, so start doing those twice weekly changes and keep on feeding those Omega flakes although try to get the pellets if you can and that way you can feed both alternating to give a bit of variety. Betta's love variety

Make sure to keep him warm to, around 78-80 if you have a heater, that'd be best. But he should make it just fine, keeping him healthy is the key!

Also just be careful with those Freeze-dried stuff, they usually promote constipation which is no good so if you can, try not to feed it every week is all. if you want you can get (might be a little more gross) but frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, brine shrimp might be a bit better. And then you can feed that twice a week or so and that would surely help him stay active and healthy. Mind you all frozen foods can be a bit messy so it's best if you feed them before a water change
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #3 
Jeane09

Thanks.

That is really disheartening to hear it is not curable. We do have two other bettas but each is in its own bowl, so now risk of contamination.

I did have betta pellets at first but he didn't seem to be able to eat them- they were too large- he's a small fish, was under a year old when I got him. So I switched to the flakes. Should I soak the pellets first?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually he should be able to take the pellets if you crush them in half. I use New Life Spectrum pellets for most of the diet though, they're smaller on 1mm so it's easier for them to eat.

Oh the thing with lympho, yes it's not curable but it's a viral infection that he will fight off eventually. So technically it is curable but just not by medications. His own immune system will fight it off, that's why it's important to keep up his health, sorry I didn't elaborate on that before.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 
Jeane09

That's very good to know! Is there something I can add to the water to boost his immune system? slime coat or something?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you can find it a good additive is Vita-Chem, basically it's vitamins in liquid form for fish! So that will help make sure that his vitamins are up to date haha and then as long as you're using tap or mineral/spring water then he's getting all/most of the minerals he needs to but there's no real additive for that. But Vita-chem is great! I've actually got to get me a bottle too ^_^