Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #21 
mybabyjets

okay thanks :)
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #22 
crowntaillove3

You can keep multiple males together. I wouldn't recommend keeping males and females in your tank, but you can keep three females or three males.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #23 
Laki

I think you should specify that you mean guppies crowntaillove3!! lol Thanks for that tidbit though :)

OP, if you want a sorority in a 7g that will be maximum stocked and you should only attempt it if you pack the tank with a lot of plants. Females are aggressive and need their space, you might get more bickering than you'd like.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #24 
crowntaillove3

I meant guppies, oops! I've kept them together for only about two months, but I've had no aggressiveness at all. At my local petco, someone bred guppies on accident and donated the fish to the store. They sold for $.50 for FOUR of them! That would probably be your best deal. Can't go wrong with 12.5 cents per fish, if you don't want to breed!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #25 
mybabyjets

okay i have no idea where this convo went but okay...and yes i know not to keep a male and a female guppy together,...ive kept guppies before..all this tread was about was to see which fish would work with my female betta, and how i could setup a sorority if i wanted to go that route, so can we get back to that? What i would like to know, is how to keep live plants, which live plants to keep, how to go about creating a sorority and how many bettas i would need, and which fish i could keep and how many...

Last edited by Perseusmom; 07-04-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: inappropriate remark
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #26 
Laki

I don't think anybody has really changed the thread topic - everything is a learning experience. we simply curved the convo to guppies because I asked if multiple males could be kept together and CTL3 answered that for me.

I think we basically answered your questions though. About live plants, sororities and tank mates.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 07-04-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: repeated inappropriate remark
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #27 
learis

I'm in the same boat except my female betta is in a 5 gallon. I want people's input on what it means for a fish to be compatible with a betta.

I've had this betta in a bigger tank believe it or not with a red flame gourami. Now I know it's said they don't get along, but she honestly seemed to adore him! He was much bigger than her but he was very gentle. I feel like she sensed there was no way she could beat him in a fight but she saw how gentle he was and thus felt very safe around him. I could be wrong, but I just always saw her hanging out with him.

Unfortunately he was sickly (many dwarf gouramis are) and I ended up replacing him with a smaller honey gourami. Now this gourami was very gentle too, but she was combative towards him. I think it's because his size was very similar to hers. Therefore, her fight instincts kicked in.

I was thinking I could place a school of endler's livebearers in my 5 gallon with her and see how that does. They're a close cousin to the guppy except even smaller which is great!

My theory is that as long as a fish is significantly different in size to a betta, the betta will not be tempted to go into fight mode and might actually become friendly with the other fish if she doesn't view them as a threat. What do you think?
learis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #28 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by learis View Post
I'm in the same boat except my female betta is in a 5 gallon. I want people's input on what it means for a fish to be compatible with a betta.

I've had this betta in a bigger tank believe it or not with a red flame gourami. Now I know it's said they don't get along, but she honestly seemed to adore him! He was much bigger than her but he was very gentle. I feel like she sensed there was no way she could beat him in a fight but she saw how gentle he was and thus felt very safe around him. I could be wrong, but I just always saw her hanging out with him.

Unfortunately he was sickly (many dwarf gouramis are) and I ended up replacing him with a smaller honey gourami. Now this gourami was very gentle too, but she was combative towards him. I think it's because his size was very similar to hers. Therefore, her fight instincts kicked in.

I was thinking I could place a school of endler's livebearers in my 5 gallon with her and see how that does. They're a close cousin to the guppy except even smaller which is great!

My theory is that as long as a fish is significantly different in size to a betta, the betta will not be tempted to go into fight mode and might actually become friendly with the other fish if she doesn't view them as a threat. What do you think?
i think this is a good theory..thank you for your help and ill just see where all this goes..
Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #29 
mybabyjets

for anyone who wants to know..i decided to get 3male guppies and caledonia just loves them, she never fights with them, and she sometimes even plays with them :)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #30 
mybabyjets

i also got 4 live plant bulbs going in the 7gallon tank, wish me luck :) i think the plant name was Aponogeton..